Please help me decide...

doctorman
on 10/25/10 12:24 pm
 Hi everyone,

I found this great site couple days ago when I started looking more seriously in WLS. 

I am 27 and have been suffering form being over weight all my life ever since I remember. I know the problem, I dont have an active life style and even though I eat healthy food but I eat big portions. 

I have been in grad school the past 3- 4 years and I went from 200lb to 265lb  (6feet tall so around 36 bmi) and I am now worried about my health and I would love to have my self confidence back with my body. I know if I change my food portion and exercise and really get in to it I can loose 15lb but I can never keep it up specially in my intense grad school work. 

So I started looking in to WLS and I think the adjustable band around stomach is the way to go and REALIZE seams to be the best tool out there.

I am still debating the WLS in my mind back and forth if it is a good idea for me or not, maybe one day  I have less on mind and can focus on my self and do the weight loss with out surgery but I wasn't able to do it so far and it getting worst so I have no hope to wait this out. 

I like the fact that REALIZE is reversible after I loose the weight but I am sure I will gain it if I take it out so I dont know.
I also use food for comfort sometimes and I am scared I will be very angry and depressed if I do the surgery.
 finally I realize that surgery also has its complications and it is not easy to get and it might with interfere  my studies ...

P.S>  any idea if NY Medicaid might cover my situation ?

I would really appreciate your help with this..
looking forward to hear form you guys.

cdeabreu
on 10/26/10 4:10 pm
VSG on 08/18/14
Hi, doctorman

I have been up and down with my weight and have some medical issues as well.  I decided that I wanted to get the realize band done, so I will no longer need my meds. and also feel better about my self.  You just got to jump and do and stop procrastinating.  My surgery is Nov. 4th.

Christie
Tom C.
on 10/26/10 10:18 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Doctorman,

Not sure how much research you have done, but my biggest advice is research - research - research. Not only in the different procedures, but in yourself. You need to really learn about yourself before you can decide on a successful tool.

If you’re a large volume eater, the band may be the right tool. If you’re a sweet eater, the bypass may be the right tool. Or the sleeve may be the best of both worlds.

While it is true the band is reversible, you need to go into this life change with the idea the band will be permanent.

Know I am here if you need. Ask away!!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
doctorman
on 10/27/10 3:37 am
I was almost sure about the band till I saw the revision forum and saw some of the stories but again since I am a volume eater I think band should help but I have not looked into sleeve much. it sounds a bit scary cutting part of my stomach.

I need to loose 80lb and based on my exprience I am able to loose weight just need something to stop this hunger feeling.

I can go without eating the whole day till 3pm but then I sit down and empty the pot..  which is very sad. of course that is a horrible habit I know ...

specially when I have to study I use food for procastination or to reduce my anexiety

is  REALIZE any better than LAP BAND.. of course REALIZE website makes it sound better but I would love to hear more on this from people in our forum.

finally I want to take out the Band after 2 years. if by 2 years I have learnd and brought down my BMI good if not there is no point to keep it while the risk of complications go up. the only issue would be  with no restriction am I going to over eat again .. I hope not .. I hope once I am done with grad school I can focous more on what my body needs.

tina71
on 10/28/10 8:50 am
the appetitie awareness workbook by linda craighead  it is amazing you need to read it
doctorman
on 10/28/10 10:59 am
thanks for the book but my problem is not solved by a book.

I need a way to get rid of my hunger even a medication once that is done I can go on liquid diet and loose all the weight I want
scd1973
on 10/29/10 8:53 am - NY
HI! I JUST GOT BANDED ON THE 20TH OF OCTOBER 2010 AND IT WAS THE BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE. i HAVE ALREADY LOST 15 POUNDS. I STARTED AT 290 PRE-OP AND I AM NOW 275 POST OP SO FAR. IN REGARDS TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT MEDICAID. YES, I ALSO HAVE IT AND IT COVERED MY SURGERY COMPLETELY. AS WELL AS MY HOSPITAL STAY AND DOCTOR'S VISITS. IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO THIS PROCEDURE I COULDN'T ENCOURAGE YOU MORE! DO IT NOW AND TAKE HOLD OF YOUR WIEGHT AND YOUR LIFE. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MEDICAID IN NEW YORK I CAN ANSWER FOR YOU IF I KNOW IT.
doctorman
on 10/30/10 11:04 am
On October 29, 2010 at 3:53 PM Pacific Time, scd1973 wrote:
HI! I JUST GOT BANDED ON THE 20TH OF OCTOBER 2010 AND IT WAS THE BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE. i HAVE ALREADY LOST 15 POUNDS. I STARTED AT 290 PRE-OP AND I AM NOW 275 POST OP SO FAR. IN REGARDS TO YOUR QUESTION ABOUT MEDICAID. YES, I ALSO HAVE IT AND IT COVERED MY SURGERY COMPLETELY. AS WELL AS MY HOSPITAL STAY AND DOCTOR'S VISITS. IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO THIS PROCEDURE I COULDN'T ENCOURAGE YOU MORE! DO IT NOW AND TAKE HOLD OF YOUR WIEGHT AND YOUR LIFE. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MEDICAID IN NEW YORK I CAN ANSWER FOR YOU IF I KNOW IT.
Hey

yes I cant see my self go though a for ever change with gasteric sleeve.  I am sure I can handle it with the bands help.

who is yoru doc ?
which medicaid plan?
how long did it take to get approved for medicaid?
any detail would be great.
scd1973
on 11/2/10 9:09 am - NY
My doctor was Paayal P. Mehta she is part of Suffolk Surgical Group which is located in Patchogue, New York. 

Suffolk Surgical Group
250 Yaphank Road
Suite 7
East Patchogue, NY 11772

(631) 475-1013

My New York Medicaid is through Fidelis Insurance.  After I did all py pre-operative testing which was all covered by Medicaid. My surgery was scheduled only a few weeks later. It only took a few days for the approval from medicaid. I love her office they are very efficient there and professional. She has an excellent bedside manner and is a great doctor.

Stephanie
doctorman
on 11/2/10 11:01 am, edited 11/2/10 11:03 am
Thanks for the info

I have americhoice and I called them to see what is the criteria for approval they said as long it is medically necessary there is no problem with it. no specific criteria.
did you have to have certain criteria for fidelis?

did you have to do nutrition and psych eval?

I am more on the west side of LI and found Dr. David Buchin and have a consult with him, heard good things so far... hoping for the best.

I am very excited to get control of my weight soon..
I walked in to my closite and that confirmed that I really need to do something about it.
Most Active