Have a leak,,..what to do now??

longj7
on 10/7/10 10:00 am - Somewhere in East, TN
I was in my 2 year period with this band.....went in for what was to be my last fill. I had good restriction. When the nurse gave the fill, she said my port was flipped. She then took the syringe and wiggled it around in there by the port in an attempt to flip it back. bottom line...something happened that day and I have no restriction now and am not sure what to do. The doctor says she did as she was supposed to however that fact remains that whatever she did that day made me lose my restiction. I was a self pay and this really hurts. Any ideas as to what I can do?
Joann
Jean M.
on 10/7/10 10:07 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I suppose it's possible that the nurse punctured your tubing while trying to access your port.  I don't think anyone here on OH can answer your question.  If it were me, I'd be calling the surgeon's office asking what they're going to do to fix this problem.  Seems to me that they should give you a break...if they won't fix the leak at no charge, maybe split the cost of the repair?

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

longj7
on 10/7/10 10:10 am - Somewhere in East, TN
I have both gone to the surgeon and written letters as well. They say they didn't do anything wrong and they are not willing to do anything.
longj7
on 10/7/10 10:11 am - Somewhere in East, TN

BTW Jean, you are looking good girl!

Jean M.
on 10/7/10 9:32 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks!

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Tom C.
on 10/7/10 5:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Joann,

Sorry to read about your issue.

The sad fact is, leaks are possible and there is no way of actually knowing if this was a defect or human error (puncture/disconnect) unless you go to another Doctor and they will swear to admit this in court. Then you may be able to take legal actions. I hate to suggest suing (I think people are too quick to do this – off my soapbox) but if you’re self pay that may be you only recourse.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
SWAT_RN
on 4/14/11 12:27 pm
I wanted to ask what the outcome was in regard to getting your port fixed.  I'm afraid that I've just had a similar incidence.  The nurse stuck me MULTIPLE times...no one else has ever had trouble with my port.  Now I don't feel at all restricted.  I think she caused it to fail.  Now what?

SWAT_RN

longj7
on 4/15/11 8:35 am - Somewhere in East, TN
Swat_RN,
I still have the band with no restriction and have had no luck with my Doctor. He is not empathetic at all and has said they "acted with the standard of care" I just find it so difficult to believe that they don't want to take any responsibility when it was evident that it happened that day when I got my fill. I can't afford to re-do the surgery.
Let me know what happens with you.
Joann 

272 highest weight, 231 1st appt with Dr., 195 current

Tom C.
on 4/15/11 9:32 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Joann,

Have you looked into seeing another Doctor? I know you state you can't afford a re-do surgery, but this may not be an expensive procedure. And maybe with another opinion, you will have better leverage with the first Doctor either fixing it, or reimbursing you. You may have to go to court, but depending on the cost, it could be small claims, which could work to your advantage.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
jasper74
on 4/15/11 1:38 pm - WA
I am sorry that this has happened to you. I too, have a leak, but I think mine has always been there. I have not lost more than 10lbs. Yes, I have had my band for almost 1 year and have lost only 10lbs.  Those pounds are coming back. I have complained and complained and no answers. Since I have been told since day one, that the band is not a cure but a tool, the medical staff blamed me. Finally after 8 months of fighting, I called another dr. They told me to get an upper G I before even seeing them. AND there it was,my large band sitting there not blocking anything. So, I am now on the phone telling my dr's nurse that I need answers and want them NOW!  I work in the medical field and I asked my dr and he said I could always call the medical board ( which I can do with out a lawyer) He also suggested that if the lap band dr isn't helpful, I could talk to a malpractice lawyer and they could get involved. Since the Nurse is under your dr, you might rattle their cage with out actually suing. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Most Active