3 days post op

mom05
on 9/25/10 7:37 am, edited 9/25/10 7:40 am
Hi, I had my surgery on Wed 9/22 and stayed in the hospital until Friday. I am home now and can't get my clear liquids in... I drink a little bit and then I can't drink anymore until maybe 2 hours... I'm afraid of getting dehyrated. I tried to eat some yogurt and just couldn't do it, any suggestions??? and I don't even have a fill...

Thanks

faedra
on 9/25/10 9:14 am - El Cajon, CA
I took some measuring cups home from hospital. this is what I did when I got home yesterday, I only drank 5ml or 1tsp of water every 3 min. I had a timer. then I had to take me crushed medicine and I upped it to 10ml to take the yucky bitter meds. I did that for a full day yesterday jus****er. Dr Taller ask me to drink 6oz in one hour. So today I started chicken broth and continued water now I drink 15ml every 4 min. it is really annoying how many times I have to drink but this way I know I am drinking enough. Tonight I will try Jello and tomorrow I will start the isopure drinks I got that are clear also. I know Dr told me I could have diary but I think I will wait a few more days. Going pee pee is the major sign that you are not dehydrated.
presurgery weight loss for Kaiser  54 pounds         
HW 309            
skinnyrn2b
on 9/25/10 11:41 pm
Revision on 07/10/14
Hi there.  I just had my surgey on Thursday(9-23-10) and so far the protein shakes are working for me.  The yogurt was too much for me too.  Good luck on your journey!  Keep us posted!
mom05
on 9/26/10 10:02 am
Well popcicles are helping, but can't ge****er in and not going to the bathroom alot and pee very dark... I know I need to drink water!!!!!
Tom C.
on 9/27/10 9:31 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
How is today? Hopefully the swelling has gone down enough that you're drinking normally? If not, I would suggest calling the Doctor and speaking to them.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 9/27/10 9:47 am - New Freedom, PA
Try drinking warm (not hot) liquids instead of cold -- something like chicken broth or green tea. Warm liquids often help the stomach muscle relax and stretch more easily. Avoid caffein at all costs since it depletes hydration. Maintaining hydration is *very* important. My doctor told me dehydration is the leading cause of re-admissions following bariatric surgery.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
mom05
on 9/28/10 12:42 am
Thank you all for your responses.

Tom: yes, feeling much better thank you. Can get my liquids in without my chest hurting but still feel full quickly.. is this normal? since I still don't have a fill...

Rich: thank you for the advise.. I did see that if I drink warm liquids it feels much better and it doesn't hurt as much.. The only problem is that I live in San Diego and we are experiencing a heat wave.... 

Most Active