Severe gastric reflux

SAnative
on 9/23/10 1:51 am

Lapband done in Dec 09' have not lost  any weight - the band was really tight with a diet consisting of protein shakes and some protein.  Last week threw up all day & after care physican loosen the band.  Physican indicated that I was not a good candidate for lap band due to severe gastric reflux condition.  I am choking on acid at night and now doctor suggest a different procedure.          
What a waste of money have lap band procedure seems to me doctors are doing this as a means of income.  Lapband is not for everyone do your research before u waste money

bufedwards
on 9/23/10 11:21 am - Hustonville, KY
I hear you! Have you had an upper GI? You probably need one to make sure nothing is out of place. If you are going to look into a revision make sure your doctor documents all of your complications well. I am currently in the appeal process of having my band revised to a DS. Good luck!

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

Stephanie M.
on 9/24/10 12:42 am
the band was really tight

An over-filled band can cause reflux....that said, you may have had undiagnosed hiatal hernia prior to your surgery.  My hernia was diagnosed two weeks before my surgery and corrected at surgery.  I have very little heartburn now (if I eat past my soft stop) and have good restriction.  I only have to take my meds (half dose) once per week or so vs a full dose daily prior to surgery
.  Try a complete unfill with a ugi to determine if you have a hernia.  If not, more than likely your band was just too tight and you were attempting to eat what you were told.  I am surprised though that you haven't lost any weight at all, which sort of says your calorie intake was also higher than the recommended diet.  Liquid diets and soft foods tend to be higher calories and can lead to a failure to lose weight.
I'll bet with your band properly filled you will lose and feel better.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

SAnative
on 10/19/10 3:23 am
Stephanie, I did have a hiatal hernia that was repaired at the time of surgery and it turns out that my "new" aftercare physician (changed bariatric docs) indicated that the lapband procedure was not the right procedure for me - something to do with the repair of the hernia changing the peristalsis. He is now trying to sell me on doing either a gastric sleeve or the gastric bypass. My family physican is telling me the reason I haven't lost weight with the lapband is that I am genetically predispose to being overweight and at 50 yrs old it could be menopause/hormones and a very slow metabolism. Just recently I've had an "Oprah" moment in which I've accepted the fact that I am overweight and nothing short of plastic surgery will change that.
Tom C.
on 10/21/10 1:25 am, edited 10/21/10 1:28 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I am so sorry to read about your struggle. I know, in the end, it will all work out.

While I understand your frustration and disappointment with the band, the truth is – NONE OF THESE OPERATION are100% guaranteed. While one may yield better results with a certain operation, but there no way of actually knowing if it will work for a certain individual until tried. Make sure you do a lot of research before you chose another operation. Not only in the operation, but in yourself.

You need to be honest and realize the type of person, and eater, you are. Once you can know that, YOU can make the correct choice FOR YOU!!

While I am not discounting what your PCP is saying, they know you better than I do, many times PCP (heck, many MEDICAL EXPERTS) have no true knowledge of Bariatric surgery let alone of results/success of each surgery. So again, I remind you to do your OWN research. You may be able to prove your PCP wrong.

Know I am here if you need. I will be praying for ya!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active