loosing retriction days after fill

Angelica M.
on 9/21/10 3:33 am - Hobart, OK
I got my last fill a few weeks ago and within a few days i had no restriction.  Im hungry an hr after eating. and with all the working out ive been doing i havent lost any weight this week.

i currently have 6cc in my band.. which i thoguht iwas a lot.
Tom C.
on 9/21/10 7:14 pm, edited 9/21/10 7:14 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

The “sweet" spot will be different on everyone. There is no magic number. There are many factors you need to take into consideration about obtaining “the sweet spot"

Fills: Fills are very different for everyone. The first thing to remember is how the fills are done. Some doctors do it under fluoroscope (x-ray and barium drink), while most do it “blindly". If under x-ray the Doctor can “see" exactly how ‘tight’ the band is, compared of a Doctor who puts in .5 cc in at a time. Sometimes it takes fewer visits to get to the “sweet" spot with fluoroscope then with blind.

Band: Realize has two size bands. 9cc and 11cc. Hence it could take more saline in one band to get to the “sweet spot" (ex. It will take 4.5 cc for a 9cc band to be half-fill, compared to 5.5cc for a 11cc band to be half-filled). Now before you freak about the “size" of the band, remember this: all bands (no matter what brand or size) all “close" to the same diameter. It may take a longer time (more saline) for the “larger" band to get that diameter then a smaller band.

Sweet spot duration: It is common for someone to lose their “sweet spot" – sometimes quickly. Remember, the stomach is a muscle. As we lose weight, the stomach will shrink. Since the stomach is a ‘smaller’, we lose the restriction around it. Think of the band as a belt around your waist. If you lose enough weight, the “notch" that once was perfect for the belt is no longer doing the job, so you need to move to a lower notch. Also, when a fill is done, sometimes the stomach get’s irritated, which causes swelling, and gives a “tighter" restriction. After a day or so, the irritation will go away, the swelling will subside, and that “sweet spot" feeling will be lost. You may need to go back to the Doctor for a real tiny fill.

As for feeling full, here are some tricks I do – maybe they can help:

Studies show it takes 20 – 30 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain you’re full. So the slower you eat, you will feel full – taking in less food. For me, during meals I take a bite of food – chew for 30 seconds – swallow – then wait another 30 seconds before I put another bite in my mouth (so every minute I eat something). My eating slowly, a plate of food lasts longer, and basically when I am done with my plate of food, I feel full.

Make sure you’re not drinking: 30 minutes before; during eating; or 30 minutes after you meal. (A) liquids can “fill" up the stomach fast. While you may feel full quicker, liquids get expel quicker then solids, so that full feeling will go away quickly. (B) liquids causes solids to pass through your “band funnel" quicker. When you have a band, think of your stomach as funnel shape. Now think of a kid at the beach playing with a funnel. If they put sand (food) in that funnel, and fills it up – it takes a while for the sand to run out of the funnel. Now if that kid fills the funnel up with sand, then pours water on top of it, the sand become more liquefied, and runs out of the funnel quicker.

Use smaller plates and/or utensils, so the amount of food seems larger – and then it may give you a false sense that you ate more then you did.

*** DISCLAIMER ALERT *** TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITION BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE

Finally, you said you're working out and haven't lost any weight. It could be that you're not taking in enough protein, and/or food. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

*** DISCLAIMER ALERT *** TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITION BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active