1st fill

mja97053
on 9/15/10 2:43 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Well I had my first fill yesterday and I'm a little disappointed. My doctor only put in 1cc in my realize band? Is this normal...he said he will put in an additional 1cc every 2 weeks until I have found the right amount.
I'm concerned that I should be getting more at each visit?????

mja97053

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/10 3:47 pm - Hatboro, PA
I haven't had my first fill yet on my band, but I was told that my surgeon will start me off with a fill of 3cc's.  Then I will go back every 6 weeks and they will determine if I need another adjustment at each appointment. 

I guess each surgeon just has a different way of doing things.. 
MaMa_M
on 9/15/10 9:18 pm - MI
Some doctors are more agressive than others. I got 4 cc at my first fiil. I am a year out and have 8.5 ccs.

You don't want to be too agressive and end up with too much fill. It is frustrating until you get good restriction but if you only have to wait 2 weeks for an additional fill you will be fine. It sometimes takes a few days to notice the difference so be patient.

My last visit I didn't get a fill because I was at a good spot, still losing well and feeling satisfied for 3-4 hours. However, at my next appointment I know that I will need a fill, I am feeling hungry every 2-2.5 hours and have not lost any weight in 2 weeks.  The key is to listen to your body...it really knows what it needs.
MaMa M

Tom C.
on 9/15/10 9:45 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Each Doctor has their own philosophy - especially concerning fills. Some do it under flureoscope; others don't. Some feel as long as you're losing - no need to do a fill. Others like to do a fill every X week.

Don't ru**** You don't want to be overfilled. Once you are, you'll know it - and wonder WTF?!??!??!?!?!

Good luck, and know we're here for you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 9/16/10 1:18 am - New Freedom, PA
My surgeon told me he likes to go slowly because there is less chance of the band slipping. Slowly filling the band gives it a chance to "settle in" while gradually increasing the restriction. From what I've read and heard you definitely do not want to experience a slipped band. It can be extremely painful and require emergency surgery.

I let my surgeon determine the pace of my fills. He has far more experience with the process than I do!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
dtb55
on 9/16/10 4:39 am, edited 9/17/10 12:20 pm
My doctor is very stingy (her words, not mine).  My first fill was 3cc and each subsequent fill has been .5cc.  I am now at 6.5cc and have had no problems along the way and I'm finally feeling a little restriction after almost 9 mos.  You'll get there.

Denise

ralphsgirl2
on 9/16/10 5:52 am
I just had my first fill last week and they put in 5cc's(doesn't feel much different)......and they see me once a month for a year.  Will probably need another fill next month.  I'm sure each Dr does things differently and they all have their own reasons for doing what they do!

Good luck to you.
Margot
tanyadw
on 9/18/10 2:19 am
I'm in the same boat as you and feeling very frustrated with this process.  The difference is you get another fill in 2 weeks.  I had my first fill 9/7 and just got scheduled for my 2nd on 10/11.  I have actually gained weight post opt for multiple reasons.  1 being no restriction and 2 being bad food choices.  So, even though I don't have restriction I can make better choices on what I do eat.  fill those hungry times with low calorie foods.... "the band is only a tool."  I have to do the work.. Now, if I could only get it right!  You hang in there and so will I...

Most Active