PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

THEMAXWELLFAMILY
on 9/8/10 10:29 pm - IN
SO I SWITCHED SURGEONS... HAD MY CONSULT WITH THE NEW DOC YESTURDAY.

ANYHOO...
I TOLD HIM I WAS INTERESTED IN THE REALIZE BAND, AND THAT I WAS ONLY ALLOWED TO TAKE 2 WEEKS OFF FROM WORK.

MY SURGEON SAYS THAT I SHOULD GET THE RNY INSTEAD OF LAP BAND BECAUSE IT HAS BETTER RESULTS, AND I WONT HAVE TO KEEP COMING IN TO GET FILLS/UNFILLS.

I SAID " DONT I NEED AT LEAST 6 WEEKS TO HEAL???"

HIS RESPONSE WAS " I WILL SEE TO IT THAT YOU ARE BACK TO WORK IN 2 WEEKS! YOU HAVE A SIT DOWN JOB, YOU DONT HAVE TO DO ANY LIFTING OR BENDING, SO YOU WILL BE OKAY"

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK.... I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
WGHT: 234  GOAL 1: 200  GOAL 2: 180 GOAL 3: 160 GOAL 4: 130 
SENT TO ANTHEM: 9/22/10 APPROVED: 9/27/10
SURGERY: OCTOBER 28, 2010!!

Angelica M.
on 9/9/10 5:58 am - Hobart, OK
For me i had wanted the RNY and it was my doc to tell me that .. i only had 100 lbs to lose. It would be a shorter recovery (since i have 2 small kids) and that the band fill appts are usually quick unless i had any concerns.. and so far so good. i am 55 days out and down 25lbs.. i have had 2 band fills and the appts are quick.  and the recovery was quick.. i was back to normal in 3 wks..would have been sooner if didnt have a hiatal hernia and air in my band after surgery.. i would tell the doctor what YOU want since you are the one who will have to live with the choice. 

the band is a lot more work but it is worth it and you find you selfwanting to do the extra work to see quicker results.. or atleast i did..

i would ask him why he would chose RNY over the band tho. maybe he has a different reason for that surgery.

whatever happeneds tho we are here and i wish you the best!
Tom C.
on 9/9/10 6:54 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
You had to ask !?!?!?!?!?!

The truth is .. NEITHER PROCEDURE is a GUARANTEE of Success. Based on the numbers, you could lose more with bypass than the band. ON THE AVERAGE a Bypass patient loses 60 to 80% of their EXCESS weight, while a band patient is 40 to 60%.

HOWEVER - PERSONALLY I HAVE LOST AS MUCH AS A BYPASS PATIENT IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME. Are my results typical, NO - but it can be done.

IMHO - NO ONE can tell you which operation is correct for you. ONLY YOU KNOW YOU and your eating habits. If you're a large volume eater, I would say go with the band. If you LOVE sweets - I could sway to the bypass. But only you know you.

IMHO (AGAIN) many times a Doctor will talk down one procedure over another not because WHAT THE STATISTICS show, but because they are more familiar (and had more success doing) one procedure over another. Heck I even know some BAND Doctors who rather do Band A then Band B - just because they've done 10,000,000,000 Band A and only 10 Band B.

In MY case - I knew I wanted and was going to stick with the band. I felt, if I FAILED with this life change, I wanted to know it was because of something I CHOSE. I would always hate to fail and then wonder, if I stuck to my guns would I have been successful.

Now with all THIS said - Depending on the work you do, and the type of bypass you have (laproscopic vs open) you can be back at work within 2 weeks.

All I can say to you is GOOD LUCK - and know NO MATTER WHAT OPERATION YOU CHOSE I WILL BE HERE.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Cameo S.
on 9/13/10 11:47 am
I'm sort of curious what did the first doc said?  Which one did he recommend?  Maybe a third doc is in order. :)
Personally, I'm interested in the band because I'm a chicken... just kidding... but really I'm a chicken.  :)
Honestly, I don't have enough hair to loose and everyone that I know with RNY lost a bunch of hair.  So we all have to "weigh" it out... make a four column list of pros and cons.  Cameo
Most Active