Which surgery

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 9/9/10 1:54 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with

I have started the process to get surgery approved.  However, I am not sure which procedure to have.

When I began the WLS journey, I thought was only considering LapBand (or Relaize).  After attending the info session with the surgeon and my initial appointment, I had decided that I wanted to do the vertical sleeve gastrectomy.  My assessment indicated that I am a candidate for either surgery.

Fast forward to now---my insurance will only pay for the band.  There is a chance, since my insurance is thru a self-insured employer plan that I can appeal and get them to cover the sleeve.  I am still leaning toward the sleeve but if my appeal fails, I will get the band.  The thought of having part of my stomach removed doesn't bother me. I am concerned about getting the band for the following reasons:
1.  I live 3 1/2 hours away from my surgeon and I can't just run over to the doc's office if I need a fill or unfill.  If I have a problem it's a 300 mile round trip and a whole day off work.
2.  I have fibromyalgia and HAVE to have a certain medication that is time released and a large capsule.  I am worried about it passing thru the band.
3.  I have heard that you lose weight slower with the band and the goal is 1 - 2 pounds a week loss.  With the sleeve the WL is faster.  I know me and if I lose slowly, I am afraid I will be discouraged and not stick with it as well.
4.  I am also one of those people that is hungry 24/7.  I am afraid that I will have more hunger with the band.  Again, if I am slowly losing and feeling hungry still, it will be harder to stick with it.
5.  I have been warned that it is "easier" to cheat with the band than with the sleeve.  Not good for me.  See #3 and #4.

If my insurance denies my appeal and the band is my ONLY option (they also approve RNY but I am not a candidate for that), I will do it and give it 110%.  I just want to be sure about the procedure I have.

I would love to hear from both sides of this issue and especially people that have had the band then converted to the sleeve.

On another note......I was reading the profiles for the Biggest Loser cast for season 10.  They are starting with like 21 people and I think about 6 or so of them have had the band (and failed obviously) and one or two had the RNY.  One had the Vertical Band Gastroplasty but I didn't notice any that had had the sleeve.  I had auditioned for the BL for 3 previous seasons and didn't get chosen.  Now I am glad I didn't. 

Sorry for the long post!
Tom C.
on 9/9/10 7:07 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
MillersDaughter,

If the sleeve was an option when I had my surgery, I may have gone that route. To me the sleeve is like combining both bypass and band. The only thing to remember is, it's the only operation that is "permanent" - meaning they can't reverse it.

Would you mind if I played Devil's advocate, and ask you some questions about your concerns?

#3 the average lost is 1 to 2 pounds a week OVER time with the band. While research shows the sleeve is a bit more, what will you do if you only lose 1 to 2 pounds a week with the sleeve?

#4 - what happens if you feel hungry with the sleeve? 

#5 - Remember ANY operation can be "cheated". What will stop you from cheating with the sleeve?

The one thing to remember is NO MATTER WHICH OPERATION you decide, YOU WILL NEED TO WORK AT IT. These operations are only a tool. You will need to fight HEAD HUNGER vs REAL HUNGER; you will need to fight urges, you will need to fight "those bad habits".

Please know, no matter what operation you decide, I will be here to help you. I wish you all the best, and know you will chose the best operation for you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 9/9/10 11:38 pm - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
Thanks for your support.

If I only lose 1-2 pounds per week on the sleeve, I can deal with it if I don't have the physical hunger.

I have really been trying to pay attention to the "head hunger" vs "physical hunger" phenomenon.  I have to say that I truly have physical hunger almost all the time.  I really think the sleeve may help that more than the band.

I do not believe that I will be likely to cheat if the physical hunger isn't such an issue.

Again, thanks for the support
Tom C.
on 9/10/10 8:40 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Nothing make me smile more than seeing someone who HAS ANSWERS - which means you're not only researching the operations, but researching YOURSELF !!

IN MY CASE - since the band I don't have "physical" hunger - as long as I follow the rules. Many times I need to force myself to eat. .. However, I am not saying this happens to ALL BAND PATIENTS - just me.

Again, no matter what you decide I will be here if you need. 

GOOD LUCK !! 

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Life is a Beach
on 9/10/10 11:24 am
I have Fibro and RA and don't have any problems with taking my meds. Don't want to steer you to any one surgery. I was banded last fall. I do have restriction but my band is not too tight. I have never been stuck or slimed or pb'd. But... I am less than a year out and I know that it will probably happen eventually.

Good Luck with your decision.
 "I may not be moving fast or gracefully, but at least I'm moving!"            
Jen M.
on 9/25/10 4:55 pm - Ashburn, VA
New to this and I was reading ur reply, what do u mean by "never been stuck or slimed or pb'd"?
Tom C.
on 9/27/10 9:41 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

"STUCK" means the food cannot go down past the band "narrowness" (think of a funnel)

Sliming is when something gets stuck and the body produces LOTS of thick saliva in the esophagus to try to slide it down. If it doesn't move, the thick saliva comes back up into the mouth. And it comes up covered in mucus which looks like slime (from Ghostbusters - in my honest opinion - it remind me of when a dog throws up)

pb = is a "Productive Burp" which means basically spitting up like a baby... what you just ate comes right back up into your mouth, but there is no retching or heaving like when you throw up

Tom

Jen M.
on 9/28/10 10:58 am - Ashburn, VA
Thank you, Tom...
Most Active