Looking into gastric banding

Rachel B.
on 8/27/10 2:22 am
 Hi.  I'm currently looking into gastric banding and, upon looking at their respective websites, I'm leaning towards the Realize band over the Lap-Band.  This is mostly because I like that the Realize band has less chance of leaking and slipping, plus I like the tools their website offers.  But before I make my decision, I want reviews from people who have had both bands (I'm planning on posting something on the Lap-Band forum too).  So my question is basically how did you choose the Realize band over the Lap-Band and do you have any regrets about your decision?

Tom C.
on 8/27/10 8:04 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Rachel, I am having computer issues at home and once fixed I will reply .. bottom line: I HAVE NO REGRETS!! As  you know, either band is just a tool and to be successful you will need to work at it. I will try to reply more on Monday.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Christine D.
on 8/28/10 1:15 am - CA
My Dr. only does Realize noe - he feels they are a better product.  I would have a discussion with your doctor about why he would use one over the other. 

CandaceHasCurves
on 8/29/10 5:17 am - Alexandria, VA
either banding option is very slow-going--not nearly as dramatic a weightloss as with bypass.

I was banded about 4.5 months ago--no real complications thus far...I'm down 30lbs since surgery.

I know there are staunch supporters of Lap Band and also of Realize. I have a Realize C band--their newest model--and that was because it was what the best surgeon in my area did. I liked that the Realize band is basically the european restrictive band that has been in use for decades and thus we have more research and history to know about potential complications...where as the lap band hasn't been around as long. Does that mean the lap band is dangerous? of course not. But for me, I like to know what to expect 30 years down the road...:)

personally, I'm NOT a fan of the Realizemysuccess website; I find it to be not-so user-friendly at all. I never use it bc the few times I've tried I've had trouble navigating the site.

good luck!
C

MaMa_M
on 8/29/10 9:09 pm - MI
I chose Realize Band because the port is slimmer and I felt it would be less likely to show after I lose the weight. It has also been in use outside the US longer and a stated by another poster the stats are a little better than the Lap Band. My doctor feels they are the same so he had no preference of which one to place. Welcome and good luck on your journey!
MaMa M

corcorac
on 8/30/10 10:55 am
Hi! I had my surgery on July 30th and as of today, I'm down 17 pounds. I'm thrilled that I went with the Realize Band. My doctor prefers it over the Lap Band because of all the reasons that have been mentioned on these posts. The recovery process hasn't been as bad as I thought, but it's not easy. I think it's the first time in my life that I haven't had a diet Coke in over a month and to be honest, I really don't miss it. I'm feeling better each and every day and the results are starting to show. Whatever choice you make, it will be the right one for you. Best of luck!

Stacy C.
on 9/3/10 5:10 am - Laguna Hills, CA
Hi there! I was banded 2 years ago, and had a Realize band put in. My surgeon does both the Lap-Band and the Realize band, so I left it up to her to implant whatever she felt was best for me when she had me in surgery. Well, last week, I had a revision surgery to a Lap-Band. My Realize band had a leak in the pillow around my stomach, which my surgeon thinks is due to my internal stitches rubbing against the pillows immediately after surgery. She also told me another Realize patient of hers had the tubing disconnect from the port. Please know, I am in no way saying that the Realize band is bad at all! I had it for 2 years and lost 110 lbs! So I have no regrets. I think that anyone can get a faulty product from time to time! Both bands work the same way, they just have minor differences in the pillows and port size. Good luck with your decision!!

9cc Realize Band: 1st Fill 10/27 3cc,  2nd fill 1/22 2cc, 3rd fill 3/5 1.5 cc

Most Active