First Fill - 5cc's

AnitaMcD
on 8/24/10 9:51 am - So. Orange County, CA
I had my first fill yesterday and I asked the doctor how much he put in and he said 5cc's - which he said was the standard.  I thought that was a lot based on my reading of posts and such, but I guess I can handle that.  I waited in the office and had my cup of water, sipped it down and it didn't come up.  He told me to drink liquids the rest o the day and notice if I feel naseated or if I'm regurgitating... nope.  He told me if nothing's wrong, then to return in 3 months - which makes it the week before Thanksgiving (I guess a good time to get another fill). 

So I'm guessing the next ones will be smaller fills? Guess it would have to be since it only holds 11cc's total.  Will it be the same procedure as the one I had yesterday?  I guess these are questions for my doctor, but just wondering if anyone started out with this amount?  I haven't really tried to eat anything normal yet - back to mushies today, which went down fine.  I can't tell how satisfied I am, or when to quit eating.  I feel like if the plate I made is there, I will eat it until it's done. 

*Sigh* Anyway, just wondering....

Anita 
                                 [Start:250; SW
:243; CW:218; GW:150]
       ~ Success is achieved and maintained by those who try and keep trying!          

Ashley A.
on 8/24/10 4:00 pm, edited 8/24/10 4:06 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12
Hi, my first fill was 4 ccs so I thought that was a pretty large fill myself, it is all based on your surgeon, my surgeon was aggressive with fills so the first 1 was big then would put about 1 cc each time after that, every person is different when it comes to feeling satisfied and how many ccs actually will hit the sweet spot. I wasn't officially at my sweet spot until I was at about 7 ccs but some people get their sweet spot with hardly any liquid in. You may not end up seeing much with your first fill but once you start back on a regular diet then you may be able to tell more. The fill process will be that same as the first time. I hope this helps some. Thanks.

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

AnitaMcD
on 8/25/10 3:07 am - So. Orange County, CA
Yes, this helps a lot.  Thanks for replying back.  You are doing awesome, I noticed - you lost 194 lbs.!!! Wow, what an accomplishment... keep up the good work, you are an inspiration! 

Anita 

Stephanie M.
on 8/24/10 11:49 pm, edited 8/24/10 11:50 pm
My PA told me when I went in for my 6 week check-up that 5 cc is the highest amount recommended for a first fill...if you are hungry between meals, eating 1/2 to 1 cup of dense protein and veggies, and "looking" for food between meals.  Since I was able to eat more, but still satisfied after 4 hours we did a fill at 10 weeks post op of 3cc and it made a difference, but not extreme.  Lap band patients often get a 3cc fill at surgery and then are filled gradually after that, where we have an empty band post-op (surgery fills are not recommended, but a few docs do them).  I may go back in the next few weeks for the other 2 cc, if my last fill doesn't keep me full long enough. As far as knowing when to stop eating...measure your food and eat only what is on your plate...3 oz dense protein and a couple of ounces of veggies should keep you full for 4 hours.  If you don't measure, you run the risk of many complications such as dialation and slippage...a direct cause of eating more than your pouch will hold.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

AnitaMcD
on 8/25/10 3:16 am - So. Orange County, CA

Hi Stephanie, I haven't been on my regular regime yet - I'm starting it today.  I will try and be more attentive on how satisfied I am.  You are about 3 months ahead of me... how many fills have you had altogether?

As far as measuring, yes... I have been good about that and just eat what is on my plate, but I eat the whole plate's worth.  I never stop to say, hmmmm.... I'm full now, let me put this away for the next meal.  Well, that was before my fill anyway. Since I started this morning with breakfast - having a 6oz. yogurt and small banana, I am pretty satisfied so far (10:15am)  I'll see how the day goes - especially around 3:30pm! 

Thanks for replying back!

Anita 

Stephanie M.
on 8/25/10 4:24 am
I have had just the one fill...I had surgery May 28....so almost 3 months ago.   Are you still on mushy food???  I transitioned pretty quickly...1 week liquid, one week mushy and then on regular food 2 weeks post-op.  Haven't had any real issues with food other than peaches or dry meat.
I haven't had yogurt since going on regular food...my doctor and nutritionist both said not to eat any slider foods except for what is recommended for my post fill regimine.
One of the things I notice is a little nose run or a hiccup to warn me that it is just about time to finish...my soft stop.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

AnitaMcD
on 8/25/10 5:15 am - So. Orange County, CA
I'm just about the same, surgery 7/20; 2 weeks shakes, then right into regular foods (what I can tolerate).  Then 8/23 was first fill - first day liquids, 2nd-3rd day soft/mushies, then 4th day what I can tolerate.  So tomorrow's back to what I can tolerate. 

My dietitian gave me a list of things and yogurt is on the list, so I'm happy about that.  Not much of a breakfast eater.  I noticed I get the hiccups too - I'll have to remember that.  That is so funny.  If that's a soft stop, what is a hard stop?  I guess I will have to research the definition page or something.  I guess I am still learning - it will always be a work in progress, right? 

Okay, thanks for the info.  I appreciate it

Anita 

corcorac
on 8/25/10 10:46 am

I'm going for my first fill Friday and I'm nervous. I'm trying to do everything right, but some days are definately harder than the next. But I'm 13 pounds down and nothing is going to stop me now! I've been a lurker on this board for quite a while, but I'm starting to get brave and start posting! Everyone is so positive and supportive here. I really feel like everyone understands me. Thank you!!!!!

AnitaMcD
on 8/26/10 2:54 am - So. Orange County, CA
Hello Corcorac, I'm glad you posted - yes, I use to "lurk" a lot myself  *LOL*   You get your fill tomorrow!  Don't be nervous... don'****ch if you get woozy like me.  You will have to drink water to make sure it goes down.  If it sits in your throat, then there's too much and he will take some out.  I wouldn't  know that part because all 5cc's went in and I was able to drink the water!  I must say, it does feel like I'm more satisifed after eating.  I know it will only get better.  Keep us posted on how you do!

Take care,
~Anita

Anita 

corcorac
on 8/30/10 12:24 am

So, I had my first fill, 4ccs! It went really well and a lot easier than I thought. The doctor did try 5ccs but I could feel it in my throat when they had me drink the barium, so he took the 1cc out and it was much better. The only problem I'm having is that the first day, I was starving and the liquid diet was so hard, but I managed and went to be a little earlier than usual so i wouldn't be tempted. Since then, I'm not hungry, because my stomach is a little queasy. There may be a "stomach bug" in the house because my toddler's tummy is not great either. But so far so good. I'm really happy I made this decision.

Most Active