NSV -- Coming off meds

rich_in_nfpa
on 8/21/10 5:39 am - New Freedom, PA
I saw my family doctor last week for a regular check-up and he gave me some great news. We went over my blood test results and he said everything looked great. He did comment that my "good" cholesterol (HDL) was only 36 and they like it to be 40 or above but that, since my total cholesterol was only 100, that might not be an achievable goal. 100!?! Incredible!

I was on 3 different meds for high cholesterol & triglycerides and he took me off of 2 of them -- permanently! We did discuss getting off of the final med and made plans for me to do that when I get back from vacation. After 6 weeks off the med I'll get more blood tests to see what my un-medicated cholesterol readings are with my new life style. He did say that after that test he'd like me to go back on the 1 med no matter what the readings are since the lower the LDL the better. I'm not entirely sure I agree with that but we'll discuss that when the time comes.

At any rate, I'm thrilled to be cutting back the number of prescriptions I take. That number will never be zero but I want to get it as low as I can.

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Tom C.
on 8/21/10 9:46 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Rich,

Thanks for sharing your GREAT news!! It's so amazing to see how you're growing while losing. You've come so far, and are an amazing inspiration for many of us!!

Keep up the great work!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
LillieGracesMom
on 8/22/10 4:37 am
Congrats, Rich!  That is quite an accomplishment.  I rememeber when I was finally able to get off of my cholesterol meds, too and it was really something that I was proud of.  You should be proud.  Keep up the great work!
-Heather

beth21181
on 8/22/10 12:48 pm
Good for you!! Just think of how much life you have added to your life! And how much money you will be saving! Way to go!!

NaughtyZute
on 8/22/10 11:51 pm - Climax, MI
ROCK ON MY FRIEND!  That's wonderful news.  I really good understanding of cholestrol can be found in Dr Agatson's original South Beach Diet book.

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

Most Active