GRAZING

ralphsgirl2
on 8/17/10 5:25 am, edited 8/17/10 5:26 am

I had my band put in on July 7th and have lost 31lbs so far.  Went to my Dr last Tues and he said I didn't need an adjustment because I've been loosing steadily.

Since then I've found that I feel more hungy between meals(especially after dinner at night).  I'm trying to stick to healthful snacks, Jello w/fat free Cool Whip, Whole Wheat Flatbread w/2tblsp reduced peanut butter, sugar free pops, but, the past two nights, I've had toasted rye bread w/low fat marg and I feel guilty about having bread(I've been holding back having bread until now).   I do have my liquids and proteins during meals and don't understand why now, I'm feeling hungry?

Tom C.
on 8/17/10 7:39 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Need to ask, since your Doctor’s visit, and the good news – are you following the rules as closely as before? Are you: drinking your 64 ounces of non-carbonate non-caffeinated liquids; taking in your recommended allotment of protein (60 to 80 grams – unless your Doctor said otherwise – THIS IS THE KEY TO REMAINING FULL); making sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during meals; you exercising more; you eating enough?

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITIONIST BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE.

When I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I losing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when our weight slows downs/stops or starts going up.

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR/NUTRITIONIST BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE.

Finally what you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. So you may need to begin some self control when it comes to food an and/or hunger.

The next time you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this REAL hunger or HEAD hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else.

If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. I recommend something that is either PROTEIN based, but if you chose a snack, make it

Ice Chips
Sugar-free Jello
sugar-free popsicles

remember - the above list is all considered 'water' - so you can have as much as you like (again, check with your Doctor).

Skim milk (Skim Plus)
Vegetable juice (ex V-8 and/or tomato)
light smooth yogurt
light fat-free/sugar free ricotta
sugar-free/fat-free puddings (made with skim milk)
Apple sauce (natural - sugar free - no chunks)
whipped low fat cottage cheese

remember - these have calories - so eat until full (not stuffed).

Finally PROTEIN DRINK made with skim milk.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
beth21181
on 8/19/10 11:05 pm
I have the same problem. I have decided that if I have to eat then I will eat salty soy nuts. They are small and a serving of 1/3 c is only 5 carbs and has 6 protein, I think. If I'm dying for something sweet I eat 1/3c carb smart ice cream (4 carb) mixed with 1T peanut butter- I eat this with a baby spoon so it takes longer and the peanut butter keeps it from sliding.

Good Luck!

Most Active