First step - in many (I hope)

Tom C.
on 8/10/10 10:07 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

FRIENDS !!

In order to stay motivated, and be held accountable, I am going to begin to become one of those annoying posters who may denote “going to the gym" posts.

I have a pipe dream of being in a marathon within the next 16 months, and I need to begin by getting off the couch.

My first goal: getting to the gym. The next goal will be building up to a 5K. Let’s see if I get that far before I continue.

So every Mon – Wed – Fri I need to be at the gym. So if I post this, please understand. I need something to KEEP ME ACCOUNTABLE!!

Since I never ran in my life, except maybe to the bathroom, I went on the COUCH to 5K website for the workout routine.

www.fromcouchto5k.com/

www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-trai ning-plan/

Would anyone like to join me?

I would love the company, but you can do it from your area. We can “compare" progress. Maybe, eventually, do a “run/jog/walk" together when the time comes.

Feel free to ask "how I am doing" - this too will keep me motivated.

So for those who will be annoyed, I apologize in advance.

This was my FIRST step. Now to get to the gym today!! 

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/10 2:08 am - Savannah, TN
Hi Tom,

I will be having Band surgery on the 26th so I am trying to get myself a little more involved in this website.  I had a stroke in 2002 which left me with a little difficulity in walking.  I LOL can't even make my body think of how to jog or run...lol  that thought makes me laugh.  I am a member of a gym and I can walk on the treadmill.  I am going to be looking for your posts every week as my encouragement / reminder to get off the couch & walk!    I'm sweating already! 

thanks for being here!

Laura
rich_in_nfpa
on 8/11/10 6:16 am - New Freedom, PA
Good for you, Tom!

I try to get to the gym on the same schedule but woke up this morning with a bad backache. I could barely get out of bed and still can't bend over comfortably. This is the first one I've had since being banded and I was hoping all my time in the gym was strengthening my lower back muscles. I hate missing a day at the gym (that's a phrase I never thought I'd type!) but I couldn't even use a recumbent bike today. Sigh -- it's hell getting old.

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Tom C.
on 8/11/10 8:25 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Went to the gym this afternoon. Was stuck at wor****il 4:30 and had the best "out" not to go - but this post MADE ME GO. So training one is done. 5 minute walk; 2 minute jog; 5 minute walk. I kinda feel good.

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
AnitaMcD
on 8/12/10 1:16 am - So. Orange County, CA
Tom, you are an inspiration I'll say that!  I have been doing the gym Tues./Thurs. (machines) but don't think I'm ready for what you're doing.  I do walk/jog on Mon./Wed./Thurs. with my dog.  Sat. Aquatics (just did one so far).  Anyway, I hope I can keep motivated like you when I'm 3 years out and not 3 weeks!  Good luck to you - I know you can do it!

Anita 
                                 [Start:250; SW
:243; CW:218; GW:150]
       ~ Success is achieved and maintained by those who try and keep trying!          

MISS_YADIRA
on 8/13/10 11:06 am
Hi Tom, I don't post very often, but i do read posts when i have time. I saw this the other day and i finally have time to write. I too started the couchto5K back in April. It works! I am happy to say that i have just signed up to do a 1/2 marathon in November in my hometown of San Antonio, TX. I am super excited about it. I had surgery this past December. When i started the treadmill i could barely do 30 minutes without being ready to keel over. Now i am up to jogging/walking 5 miles in 70 minutes at least 3X per wk.  Once a wk i do a long run and I am up to 8 miles in 2 hours now. I wish you the best of luck -i know you can do it. If all goes well in November for me, i am planning on doing a full marathon in February in New Orleans. I look forward to your posts on your progress and i will try and post as well. Yadira
Tom C.
on 8/13/10 7:31 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Yadira,

Thanks for the post - and the scare .. YIKES a 1/2 marathon in about 7 months - I don't think I'll be there in 7 months - but like WLS, we all need to go at our OWN pace and be happy with our INDIVIDUAL accomplishments.

My accomplishment - day 2 at the gym. Now two days off, and I begin again on Monday.

Tom

Most Active