Was food always this bad?

NaughtyZute
on 8/5/10 11:31 pm - Climax, MI
Huge revelation since I've had band restriction.  A lot of food just isn't that good!  Especially in restaurants.  I never noticed how overcooked and dried out most restaurant food is!  I'm getting super picky and I never was before.  I'd just gulp it down in huge mouthfuls and never notice that the chicken was rubbery, the sausage patties were the texture of hockey pucks or the toast was cold, soggy and over-buttered.  Makes me appreciate really good food all the more.  Anyone else had this experience?

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

Tana10732
on 8/6/10 12:22 am - Thomasville, NC
I have to agree!!! And a fast food hamburger...DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

3cc on 12/10/09, 0.8cc on 1/25/10, 1.0 cc on 3/15/10, 1.0 cc on 4/28/10, 0.2 cc on 6/16/10, 0.7 cc on 8/26/10, 0.8 cc on 10/15/10, 1.0 cc on 3/17/11 and 0.3 cc on 6/9/11.  8.8 cc in my 11cc band

HW 258/SW 242/CW 170/GW 140

Tom C.
on 8/6/10 1:37 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Funny how our taste buds “come back" when we no longer subject them to subpar foods.  And when we begin to eat “real food" at home, our standards are at such a higher level.

In the 2+ years I still have not tried a fast food and have no desire because I know it’s not going to taste good.

My dad used to have a saying, and it’s still holds true – Want is Better than Having, and our Memories are Better than the Reality. Whatever DESIRED foods I have tired, after a long time, DOES NOT taste as good as I remember. And after eating it, I am usually disappointed in the taste/flavor.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Pixieland
on 8/6/10 2:47 am - Davison, MI
So funny that you posted this today as just last night my husband and I went to his favorite neighborhood family restaurant. We used to eat there all the time and now only occasionally. I said to him after 2 small bites of chicken fingers and american fries that I don't think I can eat there anymore. Everything I have tried there since being banded just isn't good to me anymore (unless it's a bowl of soup or chili). You are exactly right about it being dry, cooked to much, just not tasty at all anymore.

I guess it's only home cooking & fine food restaurants from now on!
Cha-Ching$$$!!!

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

rich_in_nfpa
on 8/8/10 2:05 pm, edited 8/9/10 1:00 am - New Freedom, PA
I have been eating at home almost exclusively since being banded and haven't tried any fast food (I used to inhale Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supreme). I will be going on vacation with a friend right after Labor Day and will be eating in restaurants (and maybe fast food) for almost a week. It will be interesting to see if I have the same experience. We have some favorite meals we get every year -- I hope they still taste as good as I remember.

I enjoy cooking and think my food bill has actually gone up since being banded. My thought is, if I have to restrict what I put in my mouth, it's going to be GOOD food! I'm eating a lot more fresh seafood and veggies and things like pork tenderloin. Why does junk food cost less than the stuff that's healthy? It's just not fair!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
NaughtyZute
on 8/8/10 6:49 pm - Climax, MI
I never was one to eat fast food.  But when traveling and work lunches, it's sometimes unavoidable.  I'll tell you the best on-the-road food I've tried and it's a super good bargain: a single burger patty and a chive baked potatoe with a little butter and sour cream from Wendy's ($2.52).  Very satisfying.  And at least when I had it, fresh and delicious. 

I had my very favorite restaurant food Saturday and I was so happy that I was able to tolerate it perfectly (I'm getting that very slow, very small bite thing down finally!).  I had chicken malai at my favorite Indian restaurant.  It was kind of sad not being able to have any appetizer, but realized that next time I can have just the appetizer!  Hilarious how I'm now turning one entre into 3 or 4 meals.

I'm excited for my next dr appointment 8/17.  Should be fun to see how much I've lost.  I know I'm down at least one whole clothing size.  This restriction rocks!

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

Most Active