one year out...oh dear...(blogged this too)

Rachel DiLo
on 8/1/10 11:01 am
I'm over a year out now. My surgiversary was last month. I've been avoiding writing because I am  discouraged and disappointed. I've lost around 40lbs and that is fantastic. I couldn't have done that on my own! But  I really haven't lost anything since november despite my  best efforts. My band fights with me--it's either too tight or  not tight enough. Sometimes I get full off a few bites and sometimes I feel like I never will be full. I exercise. I  eat protein happy  foods and drink water all day long. Still...nothing more is happening. I am contemplating going to my surgeon when I get insurance again sometime this month  and looking into bypass surgery. I'm nervous though and don't want to admit defeat. Decisions, decisions......
*~*RacheL*~*

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."

Hislady
on 8/1/10 1:20 pm - Vancouver, WA
Take a look at the revision board, the band hasn't worked for a whole lot of us! I can't get a revision becuse of ther health issues but I hope you can because there are more successful surgeries than the band. In fact anything else is more successful than the band! Good luck!
Pixieland
on 8/1/10 9:59 pm - Davison, MI
Hi Rachel,
I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your progress so far.  40lbs is fantastic!  Do you keep a food diary?  Have you been back to the NUT to discuss why the scale isn't moving?  Maybe if you just mix things up a bit with your exersize and diet you will start to see some results.

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

wandafrmsc
on 8/1/10 10:47 pm
I had my surgery June 2009, had to have the band removed January 2010 because it was growing into my stomach and causing liver adhesions.  Now I am just left with one really big scar where the port was removed and smaller ones from the surgery.  Now I am 30 pounds heavier than at surgery time.  This whole thing has been a nightmare.  Medicare paid for the surgery, but I am having a hard time getting the reversal paid for, even showing the medical records.  I would not recommend this to anyone.  If you have to have a surgery, just go for the roux n y, that's what my last doctor recommended.  I don't have the money to do it though.  You know if you think about it, if you starve yourself drinking those shakes and eating a 1/'4 cup of food every now and then you will probably lose weight on your own.  I was still starving with the band until it closed up and I couldnt drink water.  JUST TRY IT ON YOUR OWN!
Tom C.
on 8/2/10 3:17 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Rachel,

Whatever you choose, please know I WILL BACK YOU 100%. It’s not the OPERATION that’s important, but the final goal and your ultimate happiness. I have seen that an operation that is successful for some, is not successful for others. You need to find the one that’s right for YOU.

Now with that all said, I need to ask the following. Have you been 100% (ok not 100% but at least 85-90%) diligent in what is required in order to make the band successful? No need to answer, but please think it over and so some soul searching. The only reason I ask is, no matter WHAT OPERATION you decide, you need to remember it’s only a tool. If you don’t change your ways, you won’t be successful. You may have short-term success, but overtime you may not.

Have you spoken to your Doctor and/or Nutritionists? Maybe they can discover something you’re overlooking. Perhaps, just perhaps, maybe it’s the DOCTOR who is not doing THEIR job in helping you

be successful. You may want to see/speak to another Doctor and/or Nutritionist.

Have you gone BACK TO THE BASICS? This may help/ What you need to do is pretend you just had the operation and do a few days (1 week) of liquids, then soft food, then regular foods. What you are actually doing is purging/detoxifying your body of those “bad" foods.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.

You need to get to support groups. Look on line to find ones around you. You need to discuss this with your Doctor. That’s why he’s there. If you feel you’re not getting the support from him, then you need to go to another Doctor. Remember you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST !!

You also need to speak to a Nutritionist. Many insurance companies allow you to see one X amount of times per year. Contact your insurance company. Go and speak to the person who did your psych exam, or see someone new. Again, insurance should be able to cover it. Maybe not the person you originally saw, but someone in your plan.

Now for my “stall spiel" Stalls are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well. However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Remember, this isn’t a race. “Slow and steady wins the race".  We are a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. We all know types of programs always fail. This is a way of life

Nowhere does any of the literate state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. Think LONG TERM. If it takes you 2 – 3 -5 years to lose all the weight, WHO CARES!!! How long did it take you to put all those pounds on

Many folks are hung up on the number. It’s not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. It’s how you feel. Don’t forget, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighting 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighting 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

Also there are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

OK I am off my soap box. Just know I AM HERE IF YOU NEED !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
LillieGracesMom
on 8/3/10 8:38 am
Thanks, Tom.  You are always a voice of reason.  Great post!
-Heather

Most Active