Confused...

KDojahn
on 7/27/10 6:12 am - Marysville, WA
HI everyone! So I was banded on July 9th, so about 2.5 weeks out. I am eating soft solid foods- so pretty much back to normal foods. I now am feeling hungry a lot more, so I have a fill scheduled next month. But I am still weighing my food for 3-5 ounces of food and eating 3 times with my protein shakes and vitamins but for the past week I have lost zero lbs. I actually gained a half pound. I feel stuck and I am eating the same thing I did on pre-surgery now (the week before where I lost 5 lbs that week) and I am losing nothing. Does this happen a lot? Is it because I went from liquids and jello to normal food? I want this to work and feel a litle defeated right now.
MaMa_M
on 7/27/10 7:12 am - MI
You may not be eatting enough food...I know that sounds odd but your body will go into starvation mode for a while. You need to get between 800-1200 calories a day and make sure you are getting your 60 grams of protein. These two things are important for your body to lose weight.  
MaMa M

Tom C.
on 7/27/10 8:05 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Echoing and expanding what was already said.

Stalls are natural part of weight loss
. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR/ NUTRITIONIST BEFORE CHANGING YOUR EATING PLAN.

When I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I loosing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when out weight slows downs/stops or starts going up.

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR/ NUTRITIONIST BEFORE CHANGING YOUR EATING PLAN.

When I first had the operation I had the same concerns as you. A close friend, who is a Certified Fitness Trainer, gave me a valuable lesson concerning losing weight. He gave me some information I found interesting, and thought I’d pass it along. The first thing he said is “You have to EAT in order to lose weight". I know, it sounds strange. He further explained, this does not mean to OVEREAT, but eat sensible portions. That means eat until you feel full (not stuffed).

He explained the body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep it functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food. If a person stay on this type of eating regiment over a prolonged period, the body starts to “eat it self" - which is extremely unhealthy and could be fatal.

According to my friend, the first thing the body will first start to “eat away" at is all the stored sugars in the body. After that has been depleted, the body then attacks all the (both good and bad) carbohydrates and fats. Finally the body starts to “digest" the proteins in the body. The proteins are mostly stored in muscle. One of the most important muscles our body has is the HEART. That’s why many anorexia patients die of heart problems - basically the body ate it away. 

He said don’t worry if you’re loosing right away. He said as long as we follow the guidelines our Doctors/Nutritionist has set for us, we will loose weight. The body sometimes takes a while before it “resets" itself.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
NaughtyZute
on 7/27/10 8:29 pm - Climax, MI

You are not doing anything wrong.  This is a lifestyle change -- not a diet.  And IMHO the most important thing to remember is that it takes time. 

The statistics talk about the average weight loss over 3 years... but you know what averages are:  those who gave up, didn't follow-up with fills, cheated the system with the wrong foods, lost patience gave up and haven't yet experienced success DIVIDED BY those who kept up the good fight, followed through, stuck to the plan, persevered and regained their life. 

We've all questioned whether it would work.  After all, how many diets have you been on?  How many life changes have you made while laying in bed at night waiting for sleep?  Hundreds, right?  Well this time you really did make a life change and if you let it, it will change your life.  So try something new.  Take up medidation, yoga, pottery, anything that helps you relax and let it happen.  All those diet failures have programmed us to expect failure, but this can work and will work if you work it.

It's like a recipe, if you do it right, it will come out right.  Good luck.  Keep coming here and expressing how you feel.  Nobody is chastising you -- I know it feels that way sometimes -- but what we're saying is just do your best, that's all you can do and it will be okay.

I'm almost a year and a half out and just now achieving the weight loss I've wanted, but I went a year without an adjustment (no insurance, no job, etc.)  I'm absolutely thrilled with my weight loss.  I feel it everyday, but it took time. 

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

Stephanie M.
on 7/28/10 12:42 am
This happened to me, also.  Are you journalling your food and water intake?  I found that my calories were too low at this point and added a high protein snack (cheese stick is good).  I was not allowed any liquid meals after I started on "real" food....I did eat soft foods and dense high protein at the same meal to make it a little easier to swallow.  I am 8.5 weeks out and in the last 6 weeks I have lost a total of 7 lbs...not enough to satisfy me, but within the range expected for banding.  I have not had a fill yet, but I will get one at my next visit in two weeks.  This is not something that you can force to work for you.  You have to  be patient and let the medical professionals guide you through the process.  Getting the band is just the first step.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

KDojahn
on 7/28/10 1:40 am - Marysville, WA
Thanks all. After this morning and being frustrated with weight gain, I decided I need a new approach because I can't let this affect me the way it has. I'm gunna start paper journaling, cause the online one is not helping me, plus making my foods day before, trying new recipes. and just figuring out my life again. I just hope it starts to come off....
Jillysmom06
on 7/28/10 2:29 am
K ~
Sounds like you are really down?.  Try to think positive and try to believe what others are saying on here.  I can't give you any advise yet because I am still on liquids but these others have been in your shoes and know what you are going through.  Try not to be so hard on yourself, it will come!!!!!!!! I know we are all so inpatient and we just want the weight  to come right off but we all have to work with it.  I think that it is good that you still come on this site and talk to others for support esp during these times of feeling blue, you and all of us need it.......There are so many nice people on here that can try to help you get through this.
You now have a new tool that is going to bring you SUCCESS!!!!!!
Hang in there, you CAN do this K!!!!
Pam
KDojahn
on 7/28/10 3:33 am - Marysville, WA
Completely agree Jillysmom!! I think its more than weight...my husband just deployed about 2 weeks ago so I kinda have felt alone, but I am getting excited on the fact, when he gets home I will look different.
I love having everyone tell me things. It did make me take a look at my protein and calories. I'm spot on with what she told me, so i'm going to take what Tom said to my doc appointment in 2 weeks for my fill and ask her about it! Maybe I need a few more calories in me, since i'm ranging 1000-1200 a day with 50-75 protein a day. So i'm taking to heart, everyone is different and what works for someone might not work for me!
Thank you all so much for the replies! it does mean a lot!
Jillysmom06
on 7/28/10 4:29 am

K ~
It is so true, everyone is different and what works for some doesn't work for all and that's what the Doc or nutritionist  is for to help us figure out what we could be doing wrong and change it.  It could be something so minor.
I am probably going to have my bumps in the road also with this but I am trying to think positive because like you I want this to work!!!!!
It definitely will be a nice surprise for your husband to come home and see you, and how much you have changed!!!!!! You have something SPECIAL to look forward too HIS REACTION!!!!!!
I'm thinking of you
Pam

kimhoke
on 7/28/10 6:12 am
Hi.
I was banded on July 7th and I'm sorry to say that I have only lost 14lbs since surgery.  This morning I gained 1.2 lbs thereby reducing my total weight lost.  I am also discouraged and frustrated by my lask of results.  I'm taking in my protein and drinking liquids. I feel like I can eat regular foods and am tired of the pureed diet already.  After going through all of this pain I feel defeated as well.  I realize that the band is not a miracle cure but I'm looking for results.  I guess this is just me venting.
Most Active