I am getting closer to my surgery date and I am nervous

Jillysmom06
on 7/10/10 11:31 am
Just how bad is the surgery?  I am so nervous already and my surgery is scheduled for the 19th.
Do you really feel alot of discomfort after?????  This whole process has been along road!!!!!!
But I am ready for a big change
KDojahn
on 7/10/10 1:18 pm - Marysville, WA
SO Surgery wasn't really bad for me. I'm one day out and i'm of course sore and tired. I'm trying to walk through out the day too so blood can keep circulating. Its an experience, but i figure in a few weeks the pain will be worth it

Considering_It
on 7/10/10 9:09 pm
On July 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM Pacific Time, KDojahn wrote:
SO Surgery wasn't really bad for me. I'm one day out and i'm of course sore and tired. I'm trying to walk through out the day too so blood can keep circulating. Its an experience, but i figure in a few weeks the pain will be worth it
I promise will be worth it!
rich_in_nfpa
on 7/13/10 1:01 am, edited 7/13/10 1:01 am - New Freedom, PA
"I promise will be worth it!"
AMEN!

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Considering_It
on 7/10/10 9:08 pm
The surgery and recovery were not bad at all...what I expected was far worse than what it was.  I would suggest that you take your pain meds, move around and walk, and use ice packs if necessary.  Having someone around the first couple of days to take care of the kids,pets,house, etc will be helpful as well.

Look up my past posts around February to see my surgery experience (all good!).

Good luck :) 
Jillysmom06
on 7/10/10 11:59 pm
Thank you for your encouragement..... I am sure I will be fine but it is all the anticipation that you have the days before surgery.  Thanks for the advice also with useing the ice pack and meds.  I tend to be stubborn with taking them.  My husband is taking a few weeks off with me to help around the house, and help with our 4 yr old daughter.  I will definitely look at your posts from Feb to see your surgery experience, I am so glad it went well for you!
Thank you again
Pam
Stephanie M.
on 7/11/10 12:48 am
Be sure you have a heating pad available.  The worst discomfort I had was in my shoulder and neck from the CO2 gas they use to "pump you up".  I kept the heating pad on my shoulder for the better part of 3 days and by day 4 no more gas pain.  Also, the gas-x strips helped with the odd feeling I got drinking (always felt like I swallowed some air).  I had surgery on Friday and took my last dose of pain med on Saturday night.
You will do great!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Jillysmom06
on 7/11/10 1:11 am
Thank you for your advise.  I am hoping that you are feeling much better.  I am not looking forward to any of the gas related things that could happen!!!!!!! LOL
I am aso glad to hear about the gas-x strips, and heating pad.  I will have to go get some before surgery next monday.
Good luck to you  
Tom C.
on 7/11/10 2:32 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

EVERYONE'S EXPERIENCE IS DIFFERENT - but for me I was back to "normal" by the next day. IF I had too I could have really gone back to work - but I tell everyone to take at least two weeks (or longer if you can).

The main reason, you need to get into the 'groove' of adhering to your Doctor's/Nutritionist's eating plan.

Plus (GOD FORBID) something happens, at least you're home and can be attended to rather quickly (plus some folks keep their operation secret). 

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Tammy G.
on 7/11/10 11:09 am - Indian Trail, NC
It's not bad at all.  But some advice:
1)  Take a pillow to the hospital for the ride home in the car.   The bouncing around was uncomfortable for me and I really wish I had had a pillow to put over my stomach area.
2)  The doctor will give you pain meds - I only really needed them at night.  But make sure you also ask for anti-nausea meds also.  They should give them but some doctors don't.   You don't want to be sick from the pain meds.

Good Luck

Most Active