10 Rules for Lap/Realize Band Success

Nana78
on 7/9/10 1:26 pm
My husband and I are in the process of getting the band, yesterday my husband went to his doctor and he gave him a sheet with 10 rules on it and I found it VERY HELPFUL and I just wanted to share this information.

1. Eat only 3 small meals per day ( 300-500 calories per meal)
2. Eat slowly and chew thorougly ( spend 30 min. per meal and chew 15-20 per bite)
3. Stop eating as soon as you feel full
4. Do NOT drink while you are eating
5. Do NOT eat between meals
6. Eat only good quality food ( low fat, low sugar, fruit, veg, low fat meats, low fat dairy, and whole grain)
7. Eat fibrous food with CAUTION ( raw fruits & veg, dry meats, and breads)
8. Drink 64 oz of fluids per day
9. Exercise 30 mins per day
10. Attend support meetings.
Tom C.
on 7/9/10 5:25 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I posted this on another posting a few months ago, and decided to share it. Many "rules" are very similar to yours.

Please feel free to add your advice. The more input, the better we can help our WLS brethren

(1) Get your daily Protein requirements in (60 – 80 grams –
your Dr/Nut may have different target amount)

(2) Drink at least 64 ounces of non-carbonated/non-caffeinated liquid.

(3) No drinking while eating and/or 30 minutes before and/or after meals (your Dr/Nut may have different rules)

(4) Remember eat: Protein first, then fiber (ex veggies/fruits) then (if there is room) good (NON-starchy) carbohydrates.

(5) Before you put that piece in your mouth, ask yourself “Would I give this size to a baby?"

(6) Chew Chew Chew (at least 30 times, or until it feels like baby food consistency)

(7) Wait 30 to 60 seconds between putting another piece food in your mouth

(8) Each meal should take at least 25 to 30 minutes to complete

(9) Eat until you are full, not stuffed

(10) Make sure foods (especially meats) are moist

(11) Eat at the same time everyday

(12) Remember, during the operation they put the tool around your stomach, and not your brain. So, you will need to do some self control.

(13) Exercise – begin slow (example walk; climbing a flight of stairs; park in the furthest spot in the lot) and then gradually increase. My suggestion do two days; rest a day; do two days; rest a day; do two days

(14) If you feel like “snacking" do something else (ex. Go outside; call a (WLS) friend; come to the board and post, etc)

(15) You must east to lose weight!! Yes I know this a strange concept but if you don’t, your body will go into “starvation mode" and “store all it can".

(16) ok .. a little gross and try to figure out what I am saying .. What you think may be a “GAS" may come out as a “Liquid" or “Solid" .. so BECAREFUL and BE PREPARED !!

(17) participate in a support group!!! It is a fact that those who attend supports groups have increased weight loss long term!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(18) Know I am always here to help you !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Melanie Short
on 7/15/10 11:07 pm - Hamilton, OH
This is very similar to what my surgeon and nut told me except the eating part.... I was told to have a healthy snack in between meals to keep my metabolism going. They said I should all together eat 5-6 times a day. .... 3 meals, and 2-3 healthy snacks. I hadn't been doing that, and my weight loss has really slowed down and they seem to think this is why??? I am going to try it their way and see how it goes... Good Luck to you and your husband on your up coming journey!
Melanie    
Stephanie M.
on 7/16/10 4:17 am
I was told to have 3 meals per day + one to two healthy snacks that are protein focused.  My calories are at about 800-1000 per day doing this and I am now losing pretty consistently.  I also was type 2 diabetic and this plan was to help keep my bg even throughout the day.  Other than eating snacks my plan is pretty much the same...adding taking my supplements religiously.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

NaughtyZute
on 7/16/10 12:58 pm - Climax, MI
These rules might be nice in theory, but realistically I think they're wrong.  Every successful diet I've ever been on stresses eating several small high protein meals a day to keep your metabolism revved up.  Plus, when you're eating 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at a sitting... you DO get hungry.  My food day looks like:  1/2 of a 1 egg omelet with a chopped spear of asparagus and chopped mushroom with a little cheese, a protein shake, a cheese stick, some sliced turkey with a couple whole grain crackers, another protein drink, a couple ounces of cooked chicken or beef patty or very tender pork chop with maybe a couple vegetables and then probably a couple more slices of turkey.  There is no way I can consume 300 to 500 calories at one meal.  I just can't hold that much.  I think a mistake that band patients make is expecting fast weight loss.  This is a process.  It takes a while to get the band working and during that while, you're going to be the same overeating person you've been for years.  And you might even get scared and realize -- "Hey.  I like eating way more than I need."  (You might not admit it... but you'll feel it.  We're not obese by accident).  Once you get to a point of true restriction (4, 5, 6 months) down the road.  Then you understand why you got the band.  But all the lists and diets in the world never got me to lose the weight.  Only now when I can eat VERY little is the weight coming off.  I just lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks. 
It will happen... but it takes persistance, it'a marathon, not a spring.  At least for me, will power has nothing to do with it -- the secret is restriction. 
Good luck and just hang in there.  Just trust the process and keep working it until it works.

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

Most Active