I want to be a success story, so friggin bad.

melodyor2
on 7/8/10 1:24 pm - Euless, TX
Hello All!

Well...lets see. Its been about 2 months since Ive been logged onto OH....Since that time, I have been really struggling with my weight loss. Ive been fluctuating between 1-3lbs loss/gain. So frustrating. 

For the past week Ive been on vacation, gained 4lbs-bummed about that, but anticipated it,

I feel like I am losing my weight loss battle....Is 28-30lbs all I am destined to lose? I need a plateau buster! And I need it now! Help me OH!

I want to be that success story, so friggin bad.

Love,

Nicole
Surgery 02/16/10
Tom C.
on 7/8/10 6:37 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Nicole,

A little tough love – are you following ALL THE RULES? If you’re not, that could be the issue .. with that said .. stalls and weight flucations are natural part of weight loss
. This happens to "naturally thin" people all the time. 

However, plateau can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

As I tell anyone who has gained weight, you need to go BACK TO THE BASICS. In all the time I’ve gained some weight back, I realize why and went BACK TO THE BASICS. I know I gained some weight back over the 4th of July weekend, so I am back to basics.

What you need to do is pretend you just had the operation and do a few days (1 week) of liquids, then soft food, then regular foods. What you are actually doing is purging/detoxifying your body of those “bad" foods that can/will cause cravings.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.

You need to get to support groups. Look on line to find ones around you. You need to discuss this with your Doctor. That’s why he’s there. If you feel you’re not getting the support from him, then you need to go to another Doctor. Remember you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST !!

You also need to speak to a Nutritionist. Many insurance companies allow you to see one X amount of times per year. Contact your insurance company. Go and speak to the person who did your psych exam, or see someone new. Again, insurance should be able to cover it. Maybe not the person you originally saw, but someone in your plan.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
scaredeesquirrel
on 7/9/10 10:23 am - Shrewsbury, PA
 For what it's worth you aren't alone (which I'm sure that you knew already).  Arrgh!  I joined a gym a week or so back, and have been going there religiously.  Breaking a sweat even!  And I'm still stuck.  I am just trying to stay calm about the whole thing, but it's hard not to beat yourself up with it.  I see my doc next week.  I'm thinking a little squirt might be in order.  I really haven't been out of line with this stuff.  When I have eaten "badly" I count it all.  I'm thinking that a  couple days of protein shakes must be in order.  I'm practically afraid to eat 'real" food...
You already know what fails.  You also know what works.    Pick one.     
rich_in_nfpa
on 7/13/10 12:28 am - New Freedom, PA
Hey "scaredeesquirrel" -- good to see you! I just switched my membership from MAC in Timonium to the Gold's Gym up here. Is that where you're going? Maybe we'll run into each other. Look for the guy that looks like he doesn't know what he's doing! 

I even went to a yoga class last night & can barely move today -- this getting healthy is killing me!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
melodyor2
on 7/15/10 12:56 am - Euless, TX
Hello All!

Thanks for the response.

I do need to get back to basics.  1st, I need to get back on OH on a daily basis. I went almost 2 mos without you guys??? What was I thinking?? 2nd, I am back to preparing my own foods..For whatever reason I got off track and was buying happy meals instead....luckily I didnt gain all my weight back, now I just need to jumpstart its loss again.  Also, I have not been getting my protein like I am supposed to.

Any suggestions on how to get the protein in a shot form?? Something quick and easy, I dont care how bad it tastes. The shakes are proving to be to much for me, especially since I dont really like shakes at all....

Thanks for everything!

-Nicole....I lost 4lbs since I first posted this topic.
rich_in_nfpa
on 7/15/10 1:31 am - New Freedom, PA
Here's what I eat when I need a big protein boost:

Frigo Light string cheese
tuna canned in water
sliced turkey breast lunch meat
fat free cheese
protein shakes (I happen to love them made with skim milk)
Special K protein meal bars (can carry them with me)

Hope this list gives you a few ideas.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Tom C.
on 7/15/10 6:31 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Nicole,

To be honest I read this post and all I got out of it was blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-I lost 4lbs since I first posted this topic-blah-blah-blah.

CONGRATS !!

As for Protein in a shot form, they DO make it. Look for Protein Bullet which looks like a test tube

www.ibariatric.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PB42-2T.gif

I disliked the taste, but others love it.

From the little research I did, I found out "The Protein Bullet Liquid Protein Drink, 42 grams of Pure Protein in a 2.8oz RTD Protein Shot."

I think there are some others, like IsoPro (or IsoPure) or something like that. Contact a local Health Food store for specific information. Places like GNC; Vitamin Shoppe will allow you to return it if you don't like it.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
whiterabt
on 7/16/10 6:37 am
I had that same plateau about 4-5 months after surgery.  I was exploring the limits and boundaries of the band.

Keep in mind that you're new to this.  You're only 5 months out and this is a life long journey.  Your plateau is temporary, and you'll continue to lose weight as you make lifestyle changes!
Most Active