I go in for surgery this Tuesday! Any last minute advice?

Interested1
on 7/8/10 5:18 am
Hi all,

So, I go in for the gastric band this Tuesday.  Does anyone have any last minute tips for me, for emotional, physical or any other type of well-being?  I'm nervous!  Has anyone found that putting ice packs on your incisions helps with the pain?  Any other comments are welcome!  Thank you!!
Considering_It
on 7/8/10 5:24 am
Good luck!  Yes, I found putting a ice pack  over my incisions helped w the pain  Best advice I can give it to make sure  you have everything you will need (crystal light, broth, jello) and walk as much as you can the days after surgery.  It will definately help w/ the pain.

:)  See ya Loser!
Interested1
on 7/8/10 6:26 am
Thanks "Considering_It"!  Really appreciate your input.

All the best, Loser!
NaughtyZute
on 7/8/10 6:01 am - Climax, MI
When you can have pureed foods... go for Bean with Bacon soup.  That artificial bacon flavor and the meatiness of the beans really hit the spot for me.

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

Tom C.
on 7/8/10 6:12 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
While very highly unlikely, you should have a bag packed in your car just in case you need to stay over. Beside the normal stuff, you may want to have a book; chapstick; slippers; your favorite sleeping toy (ok gutter-minds - not that), etc.

The only advice I have is RELAX .. everything you are feeling is normal!! After the operation you may feel some discomfort - again this is normal.

My final advice .. is for a few days/weeks after the operation ... Never trust a far.......errrr.... GAS !! .. What may seem to be gaseous may indeed come out as a liquid or solid !!

Know we're here for you !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Interested1
on 7/8/10 6:31 am
Thanks a lot, Tom.  And thank you VERY much for the rather vivid warning about gas!.  This is going to be quite a journey I can see.  But I'm really looking forward to being thinner; my weight seems to affect everything in my life.

Thank in general for all the wonderful advice you put out here on OH.  We are all so much richer for it!

All the best,

:)
Tammy G.
on 7/8/10 10:40 am - Indian Trail, NC
One more piece of advice...take a pillow with you to the hospital.  On the way home you will want to lay it over your incisions to cushion the bounce of the car ride home .  

Interested1
on 7/8/10 9:34 pm
Thanks, Tammy G!  I will definitely do that.  And congrtulations on all the success you've had. I get inspiration from people like you.!

All the best!
Tammy G.
on 7/8/10 10:44 am - Indian Trail, NC
rich_in_nfpa
on 7/13/10 12:21 am - New Freedom, PA
Today's the big day! Don't forget to post (when you feel up to it) and let us know how you're doing. Best of luck on your journey!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active