Losing hair....has this happened to anyone else?

Carriesun
on 7/7/10 2:12 pm - Hillsborough, NJ
Hi All! I had a Realize Band put in 3/23 and will have my first adjustment in two weeks.  I have been losing a quite a bit of hair these last few weeks.  When I asked the doctor he told me not to worry, that it happens with some people for the first 3 to 6 months.  How bad does it get though? This morning washing my hair I actually got a little upset because it seems like quite a bit. I have very fine hair to begin with so I really can't spare that much :)  Can anyone tell me why this is happening and when does it stop????

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
       -Mark Twain

Tom C.
on 7/7/10 7:18 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

This is very common. One of the reasons is because you're not taking in the "normal" amount of vitamins; protein; calories, etc. However in 6 months the body readjusts, and your hair begins to come back.

This is also caused by the “trauma" of the surgery. Some other surgeries “trauma" also cause hair loss.

Some people use Rogaine, zinc or biotin (a “natural" supplement).

Go to Google and type in Hair Loss Bariatric Surgery and there are tons of articles on the subject.

There are also some YOU TUBE videos on this subject. Here are just two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIjtpyMyDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNWGBQsWwac

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Carriesun
on 7/9/10 12:47 am - Hillsborough, NJ
I am going to check out those videos! I am also going to look into the zinc and biotin. Thanks so much for all the information. It makes me feel a lot better! 
Tammy G.
on 7/8/10 11:05 am - Indian Trail, NC
This happened to me as well.   I had surgery on 1/22/2010 but didn't start losing hair until late May.   It's stop now - went on for about a 1 1/2 months.    I too have very thin hair so I worried about it also, but it did stop, I don't have any bald spots and I can even see some areas where hair is already growing back.   Don't worry - it will be fine.

Carriesun
on 7/9/10 12:55 am - Hillsborough, NJ
Thanks Tammy!  I appreciate the words of encouragement.  I am glad to hear yours is already growing back.  I hope when mine come back they are not gray- I swear those seem to be the ones that are NOT falling out!!!! Heehee.
Hill_Star
on 7/8/10 2:19 pm
Well sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in...I had mine the 1st of March and have very thin and fine hair. For the past two months I noticed alot of hair falling out. I've always had a few hair falling out but this is ALOT! enough to scare ya put it that way. After a while I started noticing my hair getting really thin on top. I think its got something to do with vitamins and stuff like that. Don't worry...it'll grow back. Just make sure you take your vitamins and use shampoo that has protein and stuff in it. My favorite one is the Pantene with the pink lid....beautiful lengths I think its called. Don't worry about it, I'm told that it'll stop doing that after about 6 months. I'm hoping and praying thats the case because as you said..you don't have that much to spare. Best wishes and best of luck!
Carriesun
on 7/9/10 1:06 am - Hillsborough, NJ
Thanks SC. I guess we are in the same big boat because from what it sounds like, it is more common than I realized.  I feel so much better now that you and others have posted!  Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am going to try the Pantene too.  I never had luck with Pantene because I always thought it weighted my hair down- making it even flatter- but it sounds like you have the same type of hair as I do.  I will look for the one with the pink cap.   
I was never a "hair" person but I will tell you- this has definately motivated me to make sure I am taking my vitamins everyday!  Again, thanks for replying and best wishes to you as well! 
Most Active