Band or RNY?

resque101
on 7/8/10 5:26 am
I am debating on which surgery to have? The RNY is being pushed by my Doc and seems like a better choice but I still am curious about the Band?  I am approx. 120lbs overweight. can anyone give me advice and or tell me their experiences?
 Thanks~
NaughtyZute
on 7/8/10 5:58 am - Climax, MI
Probably one of the biggest factors for me was that the Band let's you work more gradually toward your goal.  I've known too many people who did not have the time or opportunity to address their core issues and when their favorite drug (food) is taken away, they turn to something else.  So, at least for me, the band is for people who are more comfortable taking baby steps. 

Additionally, what I kept hearing over and over again in Support Group meetings was that you throw up quite frequently with Bypass.  I hate throwing up... and it's actually something you're NOT suppose to do with the band.  I had zero desire to have nausea on a regular basis. 

And although I've been sharing about how I went a year without an adjustment, I also went all this time without acid reflux for the first time in my life.  Probably the first 6 months, I'd lay down in bed and marvel that I did not have heartburn.  My Mom told me how I'd complain at the age of 2 and 3 about my stomach hurting and it's hurt my whole life until I got banded.

Good luck with your decision.  Number one smart thing to do is go to support group meetings and talk to people who've had it done.

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

Tom C.
on 7/8/10 6:23 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

If you (or anyone else reading) want's to know my entire experience, send me a PM and I will bore you with it.

There is no correct answer. There are so many choices, and you need to research them. The major categories are band (Lapband; Realize); bypass (ex. Roux-en-Y-gastric; biliopancreatic diversion, etc); Duodenal Switch; Gastric Sleeve.

Here is a list of the operation and the percentage of excess body weight one can expect to lose

Bypass – up to 80%

Duodenal Switch – up to 70%

Band – up to 60%

Sleeve – up to 50%

But remember these are only averages. You can go above and beyond the average. I did, but I was also very diligent.

(1) RESEARCH before choosing either operation. Only you know you, and you know your eating habits. If your a sweet eater and can't control yourself, the bypass is probably the best choice. If you're a large volume eater, and don't care about sweets - then the band is probably a good choice. 

(2) This is a personal decision. While one operation has been successful for one person, it may not be for another. No one can choose for you. You need to know yourself.

(3) Stick to your guns. If you're planning on one operation, and a Doctor is trying to force you into another - walk away and get two more opinions. Some Doctors are comfortable doing one operation over the other, and will tell the patient operation "A" isn't good for you because blah-blah-blah. When in reality it's because they haven't had success or have been trained in doing the other operation. However if 3 Doctors tell you the same thing, then it’s probably right. Example, if you suffer from Type 2 Diabetes, the bypass is better at quickly addressing Type 2 Diabetes.

(4) Remember, either operation is only a tool. This isn't a cure all. You need to work at it. You need to change your eating habits. It will take some self-discipline and self-control. They put the tool around your stomach, not around your brain.

(05) Don’t get too fixated on the “numbers". A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily loose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

(06) Remember this isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. Those types of programs always fail. This is a way of life. In all my years of losing weight I’ve come too realized with instantaneous weight lost comes instantaneous weight gain.

Think LONG TERM. Nowhere does any of the literature state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. My outlook is  “Slow and steady wins the race".  Even if it takes me over 5 years to lose all the weight I want to, I know in the long run I will be happy and healthier. My doctor firmly believes the slower you lose weight, the better chance you have of keeping it off. My doctor reminded me that each pound I gained took time to put on, and it’s going to take some time to lose those same pounds. Try to remind yourself that even if you lost only 1 pound per week, in year’s time you’d be 52 pounds lighter.

(07) Make sure to follow your Doctor’s/Nutritionist’s guidelines, and get your Protein in. Protein is the key to lose weight.

OK – I won’t bore you any more.

Good luck, and can’t wait to see you on the Loser’s Bench in our Winner’s Circle !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
SunnyJenny05486
on 7/14/10 6:08 am - Woodbridge, VA
REALIZE Band on 03/10/10 with
Which ever surgery you choose is your decision. People can have success at both and fail at both. It's really about YOU making life time changes that will make your life better!

Here is why I chose Band over Bypass (even though my doc really wanted me to have Bypass)

1. Mal absorption.  The idea that I was messing with my body's ability to absorb nutrients freaked me out.  I did not like the idea at all. It seem counter productive to me - I wanted to get healthy - that seemed unhealthy to me. 

2. Life time adjustment - the band is adjustable.  I've witness two people in my life (husband and mother) who have had bypass loose the restriction of the surgery.  They can eat like they did before the surgery. My mother is now considering revision and or banding over her bypass!  With the band there is always the opportunity to adjust the restriction. 

3.  It's less invasive and recovery is quicker.  I  had absolutely no pain with the surgery.  My surgery was at 8 am and I was up and walking by 11:30 am. - I may be a freak here - results may not be typical! ;) 

Those were my top 3 reasons for choosing banding over bypass.  You will not loose as quickly as bypass but i am willing to work that little bit harder and longer for my desired outcome - HEALTH!

Good luck to you! As long as  you realize you're the one that will ultimately determine your success - you'll do great!!

Jen

Most Active