Can a couching attack move my port??

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/10 9:43 pm
 Hi guys,
Yesterday I was drinking water and started chocking.  After a 5 minute coughing fit my port site hurt and still hurts a bit today.  Has this happened to anyone else? Today it is less tender, but I still feel the soreness.  Any insight would be helpful
Tom C.
on 7/9/10 1:25 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

While it's possible that the port could move, it's very doubtful.

The way the Realize band is "attached" to the stomach is fastened by pinchy things (not the technical medical term) and shouldn't move (some Doctors due suture, but still should be strong enough).

You probably just coughed a muscle spasm (I have done that many times before the band). But you may want to speak to your Doctor just to be sure.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Carriesun
on 7/9/10 6:17 am - Hillsborough, NJ
I agree with Tom. You probably pulled the muscle.  A call to the doctor couldn't hurt but I think if you did real damage it would have felt worse the day after too.  Keep us posted on how you feel!
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/10 8:53 pm
Thanks for the responses.  I called the Dr.'s office and they said it was probably from the strain of the coughing.  Since I am able to eat without a problem I am fine.
rich_in_nfpa
on 7/13/10 12:37 am - New Freedom, PA
My doctor said that some patients experience more discomfort at the port site than others. Even today, more than 4 months after my surgery, I can still get "twinges" from my port. He doesn't know why it happens -- just that a small percentage of patients seem to have issues. The first month was pretty uncomfortable but now I don't really notice it -- it just blends in with all the other aches & pains I have! 
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Randy Z.
on 8/12/10 12:13 pm, edited 8/12/10 12:14 pm - Charlotte, NC
Kind of nice to know I am not the only one. My port was pretty sore for the first 3 months. Then a light went on.  I sleep on my side and the weight of my body was pushing against it. Almost a year out and I still have twinges every now and then. Occasionally it will be sore for a few days. Generally associated with sleeping on that side without an extra pillow. My port should feel special. It has its own pillow.  :)
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

Most Active