just not losing!!

17KIMMIE
on 6/28/10 5:14 am - Milford, DE
ok I had band surgery in nov.. lost about 28 lbs. now for about 5 months I have lost nothing... Im taking in all the proteins and h2o... watching what I eat.... nothing... I dont eat like I used to, only a small amount.. I dont think I have good restriction yet... Anybody have any advice? thanks so much
CandaceHasCurves
on 6/28/10 11:25 am - Alexandria, VA
 I am so sorry! Have you spoken to your surgeon and had adjustments? My first adjustment was 6cc at exactly 6weeks post op.

How is your thyroid?

How often are you eating? Are you drinking with meals or within 30 minutes before/after?

Are you counting your calories? Even with smaller portions, we can pack in some enormous calories.

I didn't lose an ounce for 5.5 weeks after losing a chunk in the first two weeks post-op...very frustraiting since I was only taking in 800 cal/day and getting all my protein and vitamins and water...but....it eventually lifted and I've dropped 5lbs in the last month. Some of our metabolisms are just more stubborn than others. :)

Tom C.
on 6/30/10 1:46 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

A little tough love – are you following ALL THE RULES? If you’re not, that could be the issue .. with that said .. stalls are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

As I tell anyone who has gained weight, you need to go BACK TO THE BASICS. In all the time I’ve gained some weight back, I realize why and went BACK TO THE BASICS. The last time was during Christmas I gained 13 pounds. I am happy to report I have lost those 13 pounds, and 3 additional pounds.

What you need to do is pretend you just had the operation and do a few days (1 week) of liquids, then soft food, then regular foods. What you are actually doing is purging/detoxifying your body of those “bad" foods that can/will cause cravings.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein. You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal. 

What you need to remember is they put the band around your stomach, and not around your brain. You will need to use some self control when it comes to food. If you are hungry stop and ask yourself is this real hunger or head hunger. Asking that alone will probably be an indication it’s head hunger, so you know what to do. Get busy doing something else. If that doesn’t work, EAT – but SOMETHING HEALTHY. Have some salad; vegetables, PROTEIN, etc.

You need to get to support groups. Look on line to find ones around you. You need to discuss this with your Doctor. That’s why he’s there. If you feel you’re not getting the support from him, then you need to go to another Doctor. Remember you are the client/consumer. If you’re paying for a service, you want the best service for that money. If not, move on. You are worth THE BEST because YOU ARE THE BEST !!

You also need to speak to a Nutritionist. Many insurance companies allow you to see one X amount of times per year. Contact your insurance company. Go and speak to the person who did your psych exam, or see someone new. Again, insurance should be able to cover it. Maybe not the person you originally saw, but someone in your plan.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active