Dr now wants me to have VSG...

bublegirl1
on 6/23/10 6:11 am
RNY on 11/10/14
I am supposed to get banded on the 29th. But after I had a gastric emptying study done he wants to do the sleeve procedure. My digestion is severely delayed. I am so scared now and don't know what to do. I was planning on the band since its less invasive. I need to let him know within a few days so they can cancel the band and get authorization for the other procedure.

-Amie

rich_in_nfpa
on 6/23/10 10:41 am - New Freedom, PA
None of us can tell you what the right decision for you is - only you can do that. I will tell you that I have heard that, on average, the VSG usually produces very good results. Pray on it, sleep on it, and know that, whatever your decision, you're always welcome here.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Vivian Prouty
on 6/23/10 11:24 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Listen to your doctor !!!  He knows what is BEST for you and your body.   VSG is a AWESOME surgery.   Go talk to the people on the VSG messageboard.   They are all very nice and they will answer all your questions.   I think that you will be extremely pleased with the results of that surgery.  If today I were chosing a WLS to have.....I would go with the VSG that is just my opinion.   Good luck with your decision and whatever surgery you choose.   You will be in my prayers !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

bublegirl1
on 6/25/10 7:54 am
RNY on 11/10/14
Thank you Rich and Vivian! I really appreciate your responses. I did decide to go ahead with the VSG. It looks like insurance is pushing the new approval through fast enough to still do it this Tuesday! So I start my liquid diet in the morning.

Thanks again for the kind words!

-Amie

spankymonkey1973
on 6/27/10 9:33 am
Please don't worry about this. You will find that VSG is an AMAZING GOD SEND far better than a band procedure (my biased opinion). And, don't trick yourself into thinking that a band procedure is less invasive, nothing is farther from the truth. The truth is this -- you will have 5 small incisions just like a band procedure, your stomach will be cut and will heal along the wound line so it will be exactly as before, fully functional, just lots smaller. You won't have some funky plastic do-hicky around your stomach which can and does cause damage long term.

Less invasive? Not by a long shot, just ask all the people who had to have their bands removed and now have permanent health problems, only to have a VSG in the end. Haveing a band removed in an emergent situation is VERY invasive and very risky. A VSG, you set it and forget it. You won't ever have to worry about slips, erosion, fills, esophageal damage, etc. the list goes on and on....

And, the nice thing about it is.. You will lose more weight with less effort with a VSG over a band. Your surgeon knows what he is doing, and in the end, you will see, what he is doing is giving you a gift... The VSG is a gift, don't worry about a thing, you will not be disapppointed.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift!
Tom C.
on 6/30/10 1:31 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I echo what many have said: We can't TELL you want to do. You need to think (pray) real hard. What I would say is while having faith in your Doctor, grill him why they want the sleeve, and if you still decide on the band will you be less successful. Sometimes Doctors "recommend" one procedure over the other, because they are not comfortable with the procedure you want (and I am not saying your Doctor is doing this).

Finally, if it’s any consolation – if I had to give up my band I would go for the sleeve. Studies show great success (greater than the band and less or a little equal to bypass).

Good luck, and know no matter what you choose - we'll be here for you !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 7/2/10 8:32 am - New Freedom, PA
Most Active