High Point of a Low Spell

rich_in_nfpa
on 6/23/10 3:21 am - New Freedom, PA
I've been MIA for the last week because I've been sick. It started last Tuesday and, by Thursday night, I was at the ER. It was while there I had a wonderful experience that I have to share with the board.

The PA was listening to my lungs while taking deep breaths and during one of them I kind of rubbed my belly just below my diaphragm. She asked if it hurt and I said "Just a little -- it's not bad." She immediately put her stethoscope on my belly to listen and pressed to see if it hurt. She then said two words I would never expected to hear in this lifetime -- "Good abs!"

I mean, those 6-pack abs are still hiding under a layer of beer-belly fat but she could actually tell there were muscles there. Apparently this exercise nonsense really DOES make a difference!

For what it's worth, it turned out I had a UTI and she put me on antibiotics which have really knocked it down. I made it to the gym on Monday and I'm heading there again today. Two more days on the antibiotics and I should be right as rain.

I'm tickled to be able to share my experience with everyone. I guarantee no one had ever said those words to me before in any of my 63 years! Another good thing, because the illness killed my appetite, I lost 4 pounds last week!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
bublegirl1
on 6/23/10 6:13 am
RNY on 11/10/14
That's so neat to hear!! And I'm glad you're feeling better and back to yourself! Keep up the good work!!

-Amie

Pixieland
on 6/24/10 9:32 pm - Davison, MI

I happy to hear that you are feeling better and Congrats on your fabulous abs!!!
That is a great story.

Keep up the good work!!

Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

Tom C.
on 6/30/10 1:38 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Rich

Sorry to hear about the sickness, and more sorry to hear you have 6 pack abs - while I still have a KEG !!

CONGRATS !! You #&@^&$^#@^!^# !!!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 7/2/10 8:17 am - New Freedom, PA
LOL Tom!

Trust me, any indication of a six-pack is well hidden under a thick layer of flab -- I doubt it will ever be visible! No one will ever use adjectives like "buff" or "cut" to describe me -- I'm not genetically blessed that way. The thing that amazes me is that just a couple of months of regular exercise has actually toned things up to the point where I can tell there are actually muscles under the fat! Apparently the PA could tell, also. I always operated under the theory that I got enough exercise just pushing my luck -- apparently the human body actually needs more than that.

I complained to a friend of mine who got her Realize band about a year before I did about how slowly my weight was dropping. She told me it was good to drop the weight slowly because I didn't want "sagging" from losing too quickly. I had to remind her that, at my age, it doesn't matter how slowly I lose -- there will always be sagging! I can barely remember tight skin. If (nay, WHEN!) I reach my goal weight I don't think I will have so much excess skin as to require plastic surgery but I might consider it if my "man boobs" don't flatten out enough. It would be so nice to go to the beach without attracting stares and double-takes -- I haven't had that experience in many, many years.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active