Got my date!

Angelica M.
on 6/23/10 5:18 am - Hobart, OK
I will be having my band surgery on july 16! and words of advice?
rich_in_nfpa
on 6/23/10 10:08 am - New Freedom, PA
Congratulations!

Here is a list of my recommendations, in no particular order:

1) Make sure you have found protein shakes that you like. You want to be testing them now, not after your surgery when you will be dependent on them. I prefer Syntrax Nectar but there are many others. Find a few flavors you like and make sure you have enough on hand.

2) Follow the pre-surgery instructions you are given to the letter! Some of them may seem nonsensical but there are reasons for all of them. For example, to shrink my liver and make his job easier and safer for me, my doctor wanted me to consume no more than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day in the 2 weeks leading up to my surgery. I didn't have to go on a liquid diet until the day prior to my surgery but I've heard of other doctors that put their patients on liquids diets much earlier. Every doctor has their own way of doing things -- do what yours tells you to do.

3) As The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe says, "DON'T PANIC."
Many people go home the same day as the surgery but some doctors like their patients to stay one night in the hospital. Whichever your doctor chooses, you will be fine. There is some discomfort after the surgery but within a couple of days you'll probably be able to handle it with Tylenol.

4) In the first few days after the surgery, focus on hydration and then protein -- in that order. My doctor told me the biggest cause of re-admissions by far after bariatric surgery is dehydration. Keep water or warm chicken broth close at hand and sip, sip, sip.

5) Remember that we are all here for you. We'll start clearing a spot on the Losers' Bench for you right now.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Tom C.
on 6/30/10 1:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I echo everything said .. plus add ..

never trust a fart

what may seem like it will be a gas can turn out to be either solid or liquid !! 
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active