New to the forum

jnm4179
on 6/16/10 12:22 pm
Hello.  I am two weeks post-op from having a Realize band placement.  I started my fluids a day or two after the surgery and then I moved on to applesauce, jello, and yogurt.  Then by day 5 I was eating about 4 ounces of tuna at a sitting.  I seemed to be eating more each time and more often.  Does the surgeon fill the band during surgery or will he wait for the two week post op?  I will go in for my first fill next week.
Thanks
LillieGracesMom
on 6/16/10 12:40 pm
First off, let me welcome you to the board.  This is a great place to find answers and get support.  If you have a question someone, somewhere is sure to know the answer.  You've come to the right place.
Next, my surgeon won't do a fill for at least 4 weeks post op, but I'm sure each physician is different, though. 
As far as eating goes, do not eat until you feel full.  At the beginning you are going to have to weigh and measure your food and only eat as much as you were instructed to eat.  After you eat that, if you still feel hungry you must make youself stop.  In the beginning it is will power that gets you through until you can get a fill.  (At least, that is what I'm told.  I had my surgery on 3/4/10 and have not needed a fill yet.)  Just because you can eat more, doesn't mean you should.  You will stretch your pouch and that could cause slippage.  Also, remember to eat slow.  Take 30 minutes to eat your meal.  This is hard to do, but it will really help you get that feeling of fullness if you take that long to eat.
I hope that this helps.
Best of luck on your journey,
Heather

Most Active