New to the Board...

bublegirl1
on 6/13/10 4:33 am
RNY on 11/10/14
I am getting the Realize Band on June 29. I am very nervous but excited as well. I have been overweight since a toddler so I am super afraid of failing and my body letting go of the weight. Anyone else been overweight for life and the band working for them?

Wanted to wish everyone luck and would love to make friends here to share experiences and support.

Amie

-Amie

rich_in_nfpa
on 6/13/10 4:49 am - New Freedom, PA
I've been overweight since I was 6 years old and I'm now 63. I've dieted and lost and regained weight for almost all of that time -- always regaining more than I lost. I got the band this past February and am now more than half-way to my super-optimistic goal weight (that includes supervised loss prior to the surgery). The truth is, if I make it under 200 I'll be deliriously happy.

So, the answer is "yes, it does work." But the thing to remember is that the band doesn't do it all by itself. It is a tool which helps us but we actually have to do most of the work.  It's up to us to make healthy choices of food and to put some exercise into our lives. This is not a diet but a new way of life. The band is like oars on a boat -- they help us get to where we're going but we have to provide the guidance.

It's great to have you here on the board. There is a lot of experience, strength and hope here which will help you on your journey.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
LillieGracesMom
on 6/13/10 10:23 pm
Hi,

I had my surgery on 3/4/10 and have lost 65 pounds so far.  I am now eating about 1200 calories per day and I walk 4 - 5 miles every day.  I drink at least 8 cups of water a day and eat a high protein, low carb diet with plenty of fruits and veggies.  If you follow your nutritionist's requirements, you will be successful.  I had the same worries and concerns about having the surgery and failing, but I have been extremely happy with my results so far.

Best of luck,
Heather

Tom C.
on 6/14/10 1:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I won't bore you with all the details, but I have been figthing the 'BATTLE OF THE BULDGE' since birth. Had the bad on January 28th, 2008 and lost about 185 pounds. Couldn't be happier - OR HEALTHIER !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
SunnyJenny05486
on 6/14/10 5:08 am - Woodbridge, VA
REALIZE Band on 03/10/10 with
Hi Amie!

Welcome and congratulations! 

I was banded on March 10 and have lost 50lbs (includes weight I lost before surgery).

I am doing great! Getting banded was the best decision I ever made! It only took me 6 years to take that step! I've been blogging about my journey.

http://journeytoanewjen.blogspot.com/

I've been fighting with obsity my whole life! When I was in kindergarten my mom put me on my first diet.  I've been up and down so many times...but never ever healthy. I don't even remember the last time i was under 200lbs. 

Good luck to you! My advice is follow your doctors orders! They really know what they are doing and can help you make this surgery a sucess!  Don't get hung up on the small things but remember to keep the big picture in mind!

Good luck!

Jen

Considering_It
on 6/14/10 5:44 am
My weight is dropping slllllowly.  I probably would of been at goal already if I had Bypass, but truthfully I don't regret this choice.  I also have some metobolic issues that make losing a bit of a challenge.  I may be the tortoise in this race, but I don't care  I feel and look better than I have in years.
bublegirl1
on 6/14/10 6:09 am
RNY on 11/10/14
Thank you guys so much for your replies and sharing your info with me. I really appreciate it. Just got the actual approval today. Was supposed to have it done tomorrow but insurance was dragging their feet so that's why they pushed it back to the 29th. Looks like it won't be pushed back anymore!

Gotta have stomach emptying study done. They found during my endoscopy that I am not digesting food the way I should be. Stomach had a lot of food after 14 hours of fasting! I tell ya if its not one thing its another! lol

Thanks again!

Amie

-Amie

KDojahn
on 6/23/10 4:45 am - Marysville, WA
Hi there. Hope your surgery goes well. I was suppose to have mine this friday as well, but like with you complications came up and now i'm pushed back till July 9th, so just a couple weeks after you. Hopefully everything works out and you are a go for Friday :)
Krystle
Most Active