no weight loss

hart1222
on 6/3/10 5:42 am
its been over a year since i have lost any weight.  i have been to my doctor several times and they will not fill my band, done food journals and all.  i play coed softball and yet to loss any weight.  i havent had a fill in a year either, i believe though the weather truly has something to do with how much i can eat as well, people think im crazy when i say that but i believe it.  i can sit down and eat a whole meal instead of a couple bites and i think im gaining a littlr weight or at least look as though i am (the scales havent changed nor may my clothes gotten tighter) just dont undertand what could be going on.
Tom C.
on 6/3/10 9:21 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I need to ask, why won't your Doctor schedule a fill? I mean, that's why we have this operation. If you still feel you need one, you may want to switch Doctors.

Now, here is a crazy question - how much are you eating, and how often are you eating? Always remember my number rule - always consult with your Doctor/Nutritionist before augmenting your diet  - with that said (I know this is going to sound crazy) are you sure you're eating ENOUGH? I mean, if you're doing much exercising, you may need to increase your intake to LOSE weight.

A close friend, who is a Certified Fitness Trainer, gave me a valuable lesson concerning losing weight. He gave me some information I found interesting, and thought I’d pass it along. The first thing he said is “You have to EAT in order to lose weight". I know, it sounds strange. He further explained, this does not mean to OVEREAT, but eat sensible portions. That means eat until you feel full (not stuffed). He explained the body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep it functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Also, you may want to have “more smaller" meals. Instead of 3 meals, try 5 smaller ones – to keep the metabolism working.

Final suggestion, go speak to your nutritionist. Many insurance companies will allow a certain about of visits per year. See if yours do.

Always know we’re here for you. Keep us posted how it goes.  

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Stephanie M.
on 6/6/10 12:49 am
I agree that sometimes we have to up our calories (quality calories) to jump start weight loss...first thing the nutritionist did when I first saw her in December was to up my calories to 1500 per day...BUT less fat, salt and empty carbs, since I am type 2 diabetic. More fruits, vegetables and healthy grains. I had to journal everything that went into my mouth and bring the journals to every appointment. Weigh and measure everything...Lost 8 lbs in 3 months eating more and I lost 11 lbs of fat (so I gained muscle).
When I went on my pre-op diet, I lost 18 lb in two weeks on 2 protein shakes and one very low carb, low fat, high protein meal per day.
Perhaps the thing to do is utilize the foods you used just prior to surgery or just after, kind of go through a bariatric food boot-camp for a couple of weeks to get going, keep a food journal and then go to the doc and show you are motivated and compliant.
Hope this helps! Good luck to you!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

rich_in_nfpa
on 6/6/10 2:43 am - New Freedom, PA
Are you drinking anything with your meals? Drinking water or other fluids while eating makes the food pass more quickly from the pouch into the lower chamber allowing more to be added. My doctor recommends nothing to drink 30 minutes prior to eating and 30-60 minutes after.

I have to admit that this is one of the most difficult things for me to adhere to. I have always had water or milk to drink while eating and I sometimes really miss it. Of course, not having water means I chew my food much more thoroughly! The extra saliva makes the food easier to swallow.

I sometimes have to send myself back to bariatric boot camp and pull out all of the information my surgeon's practice has given me and make sure I am following ALL of their recommendations. It's too easy for me to get comfortable and complacent and start drifting back into old habits and practices.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active