What type of surgery is best ?

Kenh1971
on 6/3/10 1:19 pm
Hello, first post here, Im a male in my late 30's not sure what the best procudure is, i need to lose about 125Lbs i keep going back n forth with the Lap Band and gastric bypass,
i really need some unbiased help
Thank you
Hill_Star
on 6/3/10 4:44 pm
Well...that alllll depends on how you are. For example...I have will power to not drink pop, eating right before bed, eating chips,fried foods, fast foods and so on and so forth. All the good foods really. lol So I chose the Lap band. I chose it because although I had will power to not eat that stuff....I still ate a huge portion of meals. Meaning I ate in one sitting enough for three meals. So my problem was, I wasn't getting full or feeling full. Now with the band...I eat a very small meal and I feel full and stay full for about 3 to 4 hours. The bad thing about Lap band...is you can cheat and will end up gaining weight. Such as...milk shakes...high calorie drinks...gravys...mashed potatoes...and many many more. More or less if you can ma**** with a fork or can drink it thru a straw...you're gonna put on weight if its not wise choices. With the Gastric bypass...if you eat something like that more than likely you're gonna get something called " dumping syndrome" meaning it'll make you sick and you will throw it up. So you need to do more research and just when you think you've decided which one to get....search some more. I search for 3 years before finally deciding which one was for me. Had my surgery March 1 of this year and up til today I'm down over 60 pounds and thats without any fills what so ever. I've got quite a bit more to go....but with this band...I'm gonna get there. I hope I kinda helped you out a little and hope that you decide whats best for you and that it works. Please keep us updated and what you decide and what your thoughts are. Best wishes!!!
Kenh1971
on 6/4/10 10:48 pm
Sebrena, first of all congrats on  your success so far, that is great, keep it up !
This is not my first go around with WLS, it has been something i have been thinking about for years. I met this doctor last Oct 30 (2009)  attended support groups, info sessions etc etc
this Dr is real high on "bypass" , refers to it as "the gold standard" and actually discourgages you from the "band"  The more research I do, the more confused I get beacuse there are good and bad in everything I read. I tend to be like you, i like to sit down and have a good meal (thats the Italian side of me I guess) He also mentioned sometimes the band doesnt work, (im like , huh? how can it not work) Im thinking its more like a design flaw, but the band works in the same way as the bypass,, right? I have a surgery date of July 19, i think i need a one on one with this guy, and change my procedure
Thanks again, and keep me posted..
Ken
Tom C.
on 6/3/10 7:28 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

There is no real correct answer. There are so many choices, and you need to research them. The major categories are band (Lapband; Realize); bypass (ex. Roux-en-Y-gastric; biliopancreatic diversion, etc); Duodenal Switch; Gastric Sleeve.

Here is a list of the 0peration and the percentage of excess body weight one can expect to lose

Bypass – up to 80%

Duodenal Switch – up to 70%

Band – up to 60%

Sleeve – up to 50%

(1) RESEARCH before choosing either operation. Only you know you, and you know your eating habits. If your a sweet eater and can't control yourself, the bypass is probably the best choice. If you're a large volume eater, and don't care about sweets - then the band is probably a good choice. 

(2) This is a personal decision. While one operation has been successful for one person, it may not be for another. No one can choose for you. You need to know yourself.

(3) Stick to your guns. If you're planning on one operation, and a Doctor is trying to force you into another - walk away and get two more opinions. Some Doctors are comfortable doing one operation over the other, and will tell the patient operation "A" isn't good for you because blah-blah-blah. When in reality it's because they haven't had success or have been trained in doing the other operation. However if 3 Doctors tell you the same thing, then it’s probably right. Example, if you suffer from Type 2 Diabetes, the bypass is better at quickly addressing Type 2 Diabetes.

(4) Remember, either operation is only a tool. This isn't a cure all. You need to work at it. You need to change your eating habits. It will take some self-discipline and self-control. They put the tool around your stomach, not around your brain.

For more information

http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bariatric_surgery

http://www.bariatric-surgery.info/

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=bariatric+weight+loss+surgery &aq=0c&aqi=g-c5&aql=&oq=ba+weight+loss+surgery&gs_rfai=&fp=b 70973533b5c2292

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active