Hair Loss Help!

CandaceHasCurves
on 6/2/10 9:53 am - Alexandria, VA
 Who else has dealt with hair loss post-surgery? What helped? What didn't?

My hair is falling out in insane quantities...it is not the thyroid...the NUT says to take 300 biotin and add fish oil, which I'm going to the store to do right now, but I was wondering what others have tried and what has worked?

Thanks!
C
Tammy G.
on 6/2/10 9:54 am - Indian Trail, NC
My surgery was 1/22/2010 and my hair is falling out also - alot of if and I didn't have much to begin with.    My nutritionist says take biotin and I have been and it does seem to help.  

CandaceHasCurves
on 6/2/10 9:58 am - Alexandria, VA
 are you taking the capsules or have you found a liquid version? Do you open the capsules/drain them? Are you taking straight biotin or as part of a b-vit combo? What brand? What dose?

Full of questions I am! :) 
Pixieland
on 6/2/10 9:32 pm - Davison, MI
Are you getting in all your protein requirement everyday? (min of 60 to 60 grams daily)
I was told that hair loss can happen if  you don't.
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

CandaceHasCurves
on 6/2/10 9:44 pm - Alexandria, VA
 Hi Leslie,

only 60g/day of protein!? I've been told from the start to get 90--so I do. So that isn't it. :) ...the NUT said hair loss can happen any time someone is on a low calorie diet (like we are), not getting enough protein or nutrients...but I'm getting the protein and taking a good multi...so she told me to take biotin and more fish oil and hopefully that will help :) :)

So I started those last night and bought an expensive hair volumizer spray to at least LOOK like I still have a decent amount of hair...haha! Hopefully all these things will help. :)
Tom C.
on 6/3/10 9:39 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
C,

Being bald I can't give you any hair advice, but what I can tell you is this is quite normal. Mostly because in the beginning you're not getting all the "nutrition" your body/hair needs. Vitamins will help. After about 4 to 6 months, the body once again gets all the nutrition it needs, and you'll see your hair loss stop and the regrowth of healthy lush hair.

Hope this helped

Tom "Curly" Casola
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
flnurse558
on 6/6/10 5:22 am - Clearwater, FL
A year before having my band surgery, I was on that crazy vitamin b12 injection/appetite suppressant, VERY low calorie diet and lost lots of weight along with tons of my hair. I was told it was due to the low calories and the stress on the body of losing weight quickly. It usually starts three months or so after the event. Of course i freaked out, stopped the diet, and  gained most of it back. I took 500 mg biotin daily since then, and use the Nioxin hair products to make it look better. Its still not back to where it was , but looks better anyway. I'm not quite 3 months post op, so I hope it doesn't happen again. Just make sure your calorie count is around 1000,and your protein is around 60-90 gms a day, along with the biotin.Hope this helps.

jsublett
on 6/9/10 6:02 am
After my surgery I had hair loss for about 7 months.  Then it slowly started to stop.  I still feel like hair is falling out sometimes.  I am almost at a year June 19th.  Doctor said Protein and biotin, I took the biotin for a little while but it really did not do much to help.  I just went with it.  They said hair grows in cycles, so lose for awhile, then grow, then lose again.  
Most Active