Delayed sliming/stomach ache???

rich_in_nfpa
on 6/2/10 7:21 am - New Freedom, PA
Has anyone else experienced either a delayed sliming episode or a delayed stomach ache? Twice now I've had a stomach ache several hours after eating. Today I got up late and had breakfast between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. A little after 3:00 PM (more than 4 hours later) I developed a stomach ache even though I hadn't eaten anything else. Today I didn't have any sliming but the first time it happened (5-6 weeks ago) I did.

I find it hard to believe that my breakfast stayed in the pouch for more than 4 hours and then had a blockage. I've only had 2 fills so far and don't think I have much restriction yet. It's possible I didn't chew thoroughly enough but I would have expected any problems to show up long before 4 hours had passed.

The stomach ache is slowly getting better (it's around 5:15 now). I walked around for quite a while and then started sipping water. Since I had exactly the same breakfast yesterday, I don't think it's an issue of tolerance. I'm also going to send an email to a nurse at my surgeon's practice to ask her advice but I look forward to hearing from this community.

Thanks!
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
CandaceHasCurves
on 6/2/10 11:38 am - Alexandria, VA
where is the pain? is it in your chest or down in the belly? My NUT told me it is totally possible to feel the pain of something being stuck hours after eating--it does take a while for the pouch to empty (as it is supposed to!)...my episode was in my chest/mid ribs/chest bone area and happend about 3 hours after eating.
rich_in_nfpa
on 6/2/10 2:13 pm - New Freedom, PA
It was more in the belly than in the chest — I'd say an inch or so below the sternum and the ribs. The ache gradually went away but it really left me with no appetite at all. I didn't have any lunch and had 2 4-ounce cups of yogurt for supper. I'm going to try to eat some string cheese before I go to bed. I'll only have about 700 calories for the day — less than half of what I normally consume.
CandaceHasCurves
on 6/2/10 9:39 pm - Alexandria, VA
 That's not the band then...the band is located much higher than that...low chest-bone area...so that would be an intestinal or lower stomach pain....good luck
Tom C.
on 6/3/10 9:41 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Rich,

My advice - get yourself checked out. While it's probably nothing, it's best to double check. I rather hear "oh it's nothing - that's quite normal' than "you should have come here when it first began ..."
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
rich_in_nfpa
on 6/4/10 4:14 am - New Freedom, PA
I sent an email to one of the nurses at my surgeon's practice and this was her response:

Rich,
I have a hard time believing it took 4 hours for the food to pass through the top part. I am surprised you were able to eat that. If I am remembering correctly you have a Lap Band and if you can eat that volume we should consider a fill. Just be careful the next day or so - stick to soft foods or even liquids. If you irritate the tissue inside the band you will get swelling and have even more difficulty. Take some liquid Maalox or Mylanta for the next 3 days.

Remember it is also possible to just get a good old fashion stomach ache from anything (virus).

Take care,
Kate

I'm still not certain it wasn't a blockage but the ache passed with no apparent ill effects. I've had almost no appetite since then which is actually welcome since I have been hungrier than I like. My surgeon's philosophy is to take it slow and easy with fills so I still don't have good restriction after only 2 fills. He feels there is more chance of band slippage with aggressive fills. I'm taking the nurse's advice and sticking to soups, protein shakes, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. for the next few days. I already have an appointment scheduled for my 3rd fill in 2 weeks. I'll be certain to discuss this episode with the surgeon then.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.
Most Active