My first post

dozer
on 5/30/10 3:06 am - Branford, CT
Hi Everyone-
This is my very first post-so I'm a little nervous. Just want to introduce myself-and say Hi to all.  Everyone seems so supportive on these forums, and I'd love to join in. I am 6 days post op. I had the realize band "installed" on May 24th. So far, so good. I'm on full liquids right now. The only thing that has bothered me so far has been cold water, it caused a real tightness in my chest that felt like a fist under my breastbone. My weight loss has been 4 lbs. since surgery- should it be more?
Denise

LillieGracesMom
on 5/30/10 5:21 am
Sounds like you are doing great.  Just follow your docs and nutritionists advice to a tee.  They really know what's best.
I got to where I don't even like cold water anymore.  Weird, I know.  I just sip on room temp water all day long.  It is important to get at least 8 cups in a day.  Also, I would recommend to start walking.  Every little bit helps.
See you around the boards.
Best of luck,
Heather

dozer
on 5/30/10 7:01 am - Branford, CT

Hi Heather,
I wasn't expecting the problem with the cold water, it kind of took my off guard. I've definitely just been leaving my water bottle next to me, and sipping on it room temp. It seems to go down much easier. Walking is definitely on the agenda! Thank you for the welcome-
Denise

Denise

Life is a Beach
on 5/30/10 12:24 pm
plw8.png picture by rainbow9286
and Good Luck to you!
 "I may not be moving fast or gracefully, but at least I'm moving!"            
Considering_It
on 5/30/10 11:12 pm
Welcome, congrats and good luck to you!
Stephanie M.
on 5/31/10 12:43 am
Welcome!! 4 lbs in 6 days post op is great! I actually came out of the hospital 6 lb heavier than when I went in; swelling, all the IVs, anesthesia, etc, but now am down 4 lbs on the 4th day post op. Cold water doesn't bother me, but the Bariatric Advantage shakes do not agree with me, too foamy for post op.
Good luck!!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Kim U.
on 5/31/10 1:45 pm
Welcome! And also remember not to compare your weight loss to others we are all different. Remember you are at least on the right downward track!
199 here I come! 

Jaimielinn
on 6/1/10 3:06 am
Thank you, I'll definitely keep that in mind, Jaimie
Tom C.
on 6/3/10 6:53 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Denise,

Firstly, WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH in the WINNER's CIRCLE !!

Secondly, you're doing fantastic. DO NOT COMPARE your weight loss with someone else's. We all start at different points.

Many may compare their lost to someone else’s, and get discouraged.

The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily loose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

And sometimes it is not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. Remember, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighing 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighing 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying only 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

Finally, we are a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. Those types of programs always fail. This is a way of life. Plus in all my years of losing weight I’ve come too realized with instantaneous weight lost comes instantaneous weight gain.

Nowhere does any of the literature state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. Think LONG TERM. That’s what I am doing. My new outlook is  “Slow and steady wins the race".  Even if it take me over 5 years to lose all the weight I want to, I know in the long run I will be happy and healthier. My doctor firmly believes the slower you lose weight, the better chance you have of keeping it off. My doctor reminded me that each pound I gained took time to put on, and it’s going to take some time to lose those same pounds. Try to remind yourself that even if I lost only 1 pound per week, in year’s time I’d be 52 pounds lighter.

Hope this helps

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active