4 days post-op, have questions

brankate
on 5/27/10 12:28 pm
Hello!

I'm new.  I just had the Realize Band surgery on Monday, and I'm now recovering from that.  Gas pain is awful.  And the incision pain is rough as well.  But all will be fine, I'm sure.

I have a couple of questions:

* Do you FEAR food getting stuck?  I've read terrible posts from people who have had food get stuck, and it scares the life out of me.  I'm ok with respecting food, but dang - I'm a bit terrified right now.  With this fear, I'll stay will a liquid diet! lol

* Do any of you occassionally eat 'normal' food?  My wife makes good dinners, and I'd LOVE to eat some of it.  Naturally, this will be after I'm allowed to try normal foods again, but if she makes a nice pasta meal, and I can tolerate it (and it's a good portion), is that wrong?

Thanks everyone.  I'm a bit overwhelmed right now emotionally - which is VERY strange for me.  I'm sure I've made the right decision, but I can't help wondering if I really did.

RB
Kim U.
on 5/27/10 12:35 pm
First off once you get healed and past the liquids and mushy stages given to you by your doc you should only be eating normal foods. That is the beauty of the surgery you can eat normal foods just a lot less of it. Sure some foods are harder to eat but overall nothing will be off your menu unless you want it to be. Pasta isn't all bad if she can make it with whole wheat pasta that would be best for the whole family anyways. I still eat pasta but its usually only 3-4 bites and before I would eat 2 or 3 bowls overfilling to the top lol.

The stuck issues...well that varies for everyone. Personally i've been stuck a few times. Only once or twice was it really bad and caused much pain. Other times it is not comfortable but also I know it will pass and I usually know what I did wrong (ate too fast, didn't chew well, too big of a bite, ect) Sure its something I try to avoid and that is kind of the point.

Good luck i'm sure you will do great!
199 here I come! 

brankate
on 5/28/10 1:46 am
Thanks for your reply!  Very helpful!

I think I'll do what everyone else had to do - try foods out and see how they do.  So if I don't like pasta anymore, I just won't eat it.  I'm hopeful too much doesn't change - but I'll see.

Food getting stuck is still a big deal to me.  But I started thinking today that if I can only eat 5-6 bites, I can spend 30 seconds chewing... it's not going to be that big of a deal.

Thanks again!
RB
CandaceHasCurves
on 5/28/10 1:08 am - Alexandria, VA
I DO live in fear of getting food stuck--which is why I chew chew chew 30 times before swallowing and use a little fork for portions. I do this with NORMAL foods.

Pasta--uh--I believe that to be one of the major foods to avoid because it binds and thus is more likely to become lodged. Pasta, white bread, rice--foods that swell when wet are a bad idea (I'm told...I haven't dared test this theory bc I'm terrified of having something stuck)

Good luck
C
brankate
on 5/28/10 1:55 am
Getting stuck really concerns me.  I'll chew until it disappears!!! LOL  Have you had any times when food got stuck?

Thanks for your feedback!  I really appreciate it!

RB
hcantwell
on 5/29/10 12:13 pm - Trussville, AL
 tip for the gas pain - Gas X strips.  They dissolve on your tongue and will help the gas so much!!  
I don't fear food getting stuck but when it does - I pay - it hurts - really bad.  Yes, you will be able to eat normal foods again - but you will find that some things just aren't worth it with your band.  I no longer eat bread or dry meats because I know it will get stuck and it's just not worth it to me to try.  Congratulations - you will do great.
Most Active