To Realize or not to Realize

JoMixx
on 5/11/10 9:32 pm - West Yarmouth, MA

Hi,

I am pre- and I have a choice of RNY or realize band.  Can anyone give me feedback on Weight loss with Realize?  I have already read all of the brochures, talked to the surgeon and googled like crazy.  What I am most interested in is input from people who actually live with the band.

Is it possible to lose ALL of the extra weight?  and what has made you successful or  not successful?

MaMa_M
on 5/11/10 10:05 pm - MI
As with any of the WLS some will succeed and some will fail. Most of the success is what you put into it. The Realize Band is a tool to help you lose the weight. I have had my band since Sept 09 and have lost 60 lbs. The band can take many months to get adjusted so that it best helps you to lose. In that time you need to modify the way you eat. Good luck in your journey, we can't wait for you to join us on the losers bench!
MaMa M

Kelleigh710
on 5/13/10 1:19 pm
I can respond to you , not because I have a band, but because I have had an RNY...and failed miserably. The RNY is a GREAT and I mean GREAT WLS, but you really need to have your head in the game as far as listening to your body say, "I'm full!". I was young, dumb, and didn't listen to my body so here I am 30 pounds from my original weight, and have a band surgery booked for 6/29/10 to do a band over my bypass. I honestly believe every WLS can work, you just need to be ready to respect which ever tool you choose. I'm looking forward to being a banded bandster though!!! Good luck with your decision, you'll do great either way.
Tom C.
on 5/14/10 3:54 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
If you want to PM me for the entire .. llloooonnnnnggggggg boring story, please do so ..

But the short story is .. I am over 2 years out. Around 185 to 190 pounds down. I go to at least 3 support meeting a month, and come to this board almost every day.

Now a bit of real truth .. neither operation will be successful unless you're in the right mind set, and willing to follow all the rules set before you. Remember they fix your stomach, but they don't do anything to your brain - so you will have to work at it. However these "tools" make it sooooo much easier.

No matter what you chose, know we're here for you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Brandywyne
on 5/14/10 9:58 am - Abingdon, MD
All I cxan say is starmoon1982 she has a page on here and on youtube look her up..
dvolumptious1
on 5/23/10 2:31 am

Starmoon1982 on youtube is the best advice you could ever give. I strive to accomplish what she has everyday and I'm almost there. You have to want it bad enough, end of story!

Left the band and rocking with RNY.
They say I have an eating disorder but I say, I have my eating in order.         

Most Active