TWO WEEKS OF CLEAR LIQUID - What?

LittleKathy
on 5/11/10 9:39 am
Okay, preOp, two weeks liquids including OptiFAST; two weeks following surgery - absolutely clear liquids - well, I'm 3 days til completing that - and I didn't make it. I ate some meat, and I feel so bad about myself, STILL at the same time; clear SF jello, broth, tea, water, crystal light..........stomach growling like crazy.......I know it wasn't head hunger.. I was hungry.. I don't understand why some doctors allow protein shakes on the liquid diet after surgery and some don't. I think if I could have had just something.........I wouldn't splurged and eaten some meat...............3 days until FULL LIQUIDs.................cream soups, cream of wheat, frozen yogurt, yogurt, grits...........sounds exciting.

Did anyone out there eat during the two weeks of clear: I feel like such a failure..........................

Pixieland
on 5/11/10 9:30 pm - Davison, MI
Hi Kathy,

Don't beat yourself up...its over and done.  I don't know why each Dr. has different protocols either.  I only had to do clear liquid for 24 hours after surgery and then full liquids for a week and then onto mushies.

Clear liquids for 2 weeks post op would be very hard for anyone. 
Hang tight and all will be OK.   Good luck to you!
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

LittleKathy
on 5/12/10 9:30 am
Leslie, Thank you so much for your supportive, kind words. They were very helpful. Kathy

daisyfernandez
on 5/14/10 10:53 am
I had to do the diet and just had my surgery 3 days ago. Dont feel bad the hunger is so bad i cheated too. I had chicken and rice one night, then i got my self back on track. I lost 10 lbs in the diet and it got me ready for this weeks clear liquid diet.  Hang in there it will get better.
MaMa_M
on 5/11/10 10:08 pm - MI
I agree, each doctor seems to have their own plan. I did 10 days of vegtables and 4 oz of protein each day before surgery. Then did one week of liquids, one week of puree, one week of soft foods then on to real food. You have made it this far you can do another few days. Keep the faith, the worst is almost over!
MaMa M

LittleKathy
on 5/12/10 9:37 am
Hello,
Wow, you had a really different type of pre and post. I have to say since we move to 4 ounces of protein; that sounds like a good idea.  It sure does look like all the doctors have different ideas about how to handle food and after surgery.  It's great that this site exists so that we can  chat about it when needed. Thanks, Kathy

Vivian Prouty
on 5/11/10 11:06 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Kathy....don't beat yourself up.    I am sure your surgeon is having you do this because of the swelling around your band from the surgery.   He doesn't want you to get anything stuck that won't go past the band.   Be careful eating things that they don't want you to.   I have no idea why he won't let you have protein shakes??   Nectur protein has ice teas.....you may want to check them out.   Good luck to you and remember this isn't forever.....we can ALL do things for a short period of time when we see light at the end of the road.   Good luck to you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

LittleKathy
on 5/12/10 9:34 am
Vivian, Thank you. It does help to have an understanding as to why, and I did call the doctor today. I didn't even see him, nor did my husband after surgery; and they never called to check on me; for that I was surprised. Anyway, I called them, and the nurse said that some people's bodies resolve themselves more quickly so go ahead and do the full liquid.  YAY! That was an immediate help. I had OptiFAST left over from the presurgery, and so I had that and it was very helpful.  Thank you I do appreciate the response, well wishes, and hope.

kgjohannes
on 5/16/10 8:01 am - Lawrence, NJ
Take it easy on yourself. we have to remember we're changing our entire relationship with our bodies and food. there's a real reason why we go through the progression from liquids, to pureed foods to soft foods. we're preparing our stomachs, and we're preparing our minds.

i'm only 11 days post-op and already i've learned so much about my body's cues. i'm learning that this is as much a mental game as anything else. i remind myself that the consequence of consuming something beyond my need is far greater than the temporary pleasure of the taste of food in my mouth. it's that temporary giving in that got me into this mess!

if you're truly hungry then i suggest drinking atkins shakes- very low in sugars and high in protein. also iso-pure zero carb drinks are good. protein first!!!!! find a decent nutritionist who will give you a good solid plan and stick to it. remember it's a process and the consequences to deviating cost more this time around.

good luck, and keep us posted!

Most Active