How long before a date?

Michelle L.
on 5/10/10 2:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone. I'm new to this board, and after some research, I've decided that I'd like to get the Realize band (if the doctor agrees!).  I've got about 85 pounds to lose. I've picked a doctor and a hospital, and I'm going to a seminar on May 25th. How long does it take, on average, to get a date set?
Tom C.
on 5/10/10 4:11 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Every State and every Insurance company/plan has their own rules. I've know some people who were ready to go in 4 to 6 weeks. I know many folks who lives in a state that requires 1 year supervised weight loss.

All I can tell you is - the day you have the operation is the day you're suppose to have the operation. So don't panic. Even if it takes months.

If that's the case, then take every day as a learning day and research. As time gets closer, try attempting some "rules" you'll need to follow (example no drinking before/during/after meals; chew 30 times; eat slowly, etc). Even if you 'fail" during this time, it will help with your transition when you really need to do it.

Always remember, we'll be here for you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Michelle L.
on 5/10/10 5:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the great reply. :)  I'm just really excited to get started. My insurance policy says I'm covered for this type of surgery, but I know it can take a while to get approved. I just hope everything goes fairly smoothly.
Pixieland
on 5/10/10 10:18 pm - Davison, MI
Hi There,
Congratulations on your decision and I hope everything moves along smoothly for you.

For me...this is the best thing I have ever done.  I was banded Oct. 16, 2009.  I am down 3 pant sizes, have GREAT energy, off all medications and couldn't be happier. 

My best advice for you at this point is to read, read, read every bit of information you can find so that there are no surprises.  Tom's advice is right on (as it always is)...practice the rules pre-op, and start moving now and get into a workout routine.

Best wishes to you and please keep us posted on your progress!
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

Lisa Y.
on 5/11/10 3:00 am
It took me 6 months.

Brandywyne
on 5/12/10 9:04 am - Abingdon, MD
8 months for me including the seminar,the consultation and 6 months of weight management classes.
pinkfloydfan123
on 5/13/10 2:18 am - Livonia, NY
 Hello.  I had my seminar in December, 2009 and then my surgery on 26-Apr-10.  So, it was very quick.  However, someone else I know who has had this done took almost a year.  Some of it depends on the insurances.  For example, my insurance required me to lose 5% of my body weight on my own.  Some insurances require 10%.  And some require 0%.  It's interesting to note, however, that if you have the hack-and-whack gastric bypass, the insurance companies in NY do not require you to lose weight on your own.  

Good luck in your journey and don't be scared.  I was very worried about what I'd "lose" when I was banded, but I've not noticed a HUGE difference other than I can't eat as much and can't eat as fast.  Plus, I miss my beer.  :(  Hee Hee.  But, I can not believe how good I feel.  I am already down 20# since the surgery (40# down since December, 2009) and I was just told by my doc that he is pulling me off my blood pressure meds!!  So, whatever inconvenience I have felt after being banded has been overshadowed by positives!  Hang in there and good luck!!
Most Active