Everyone's favorite...constipation!

JennYoung
on 5/2/10 8:21 am
I am consipated since I was banded.  I have to take an exlax every other day.  I hate it, I tried Benefiber...nothing, back to exlax.  I dont want to make this a habit...what can I do?  Has anyone had this problem?  Is it the protein shakes?  The lack of fat in my diet??  Help I'm at a loss...thanks!
Lisa Y.
on 5/2/10 9:32 am
I have not had this problem, thank god, but it is very common. I recommend Miralax, it is easier on the system than Exlax. 

It is lack of food, fiber and probably dehydration.

I hope you feel better soon.
Lisa

CandaceHasCurves
on 5/3/10 1:58 am - Alexandria, VA
I went 1.5 weeks after surgery before having a BM...dairy IS constipating, especially if you are having more than a cup of it a day (as most of us do with the protein drinks) I make sure to eat LOTS of fiber-- refried beans, hummus, cooked spinach helps me a lot, too. Also pureed peaches, pears. Make sure to get your veggies in, and add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the veggies so you do get some of the needed fat. Hydration is, of course, very important, too.

I've had problems with constipation my entire life, being hospitalized for impaction twince. BUT since surgery I haven't had that severe of a problem...so it IS possible to handle it. I'm not taking miralax or anything, either....just handling it with foods.

Good luck!
JennYoung
on 5/3/10 10:42 am
Thanks guys...just googled low fat high fiber foods...hopfully this will pass!!  LOL!
CandaceHasCurves
on 5/3/10 10:45 am - Alexandria, VA
*snort* LOL!!!!

don't be afraid of some fat; we DO need it. Refried beans and hummus are my best friends right now...
OneRedKansan41
on 5/3/10 2:57 pm
I love refried beans.. ::farrrrt::
CandaceHasCurves
on 5/3/10 11:48 pm - Alexandria, VA
ha! but I haven't had that issue now that I can only take in 2 oz of it at a time....
OneRedKansan41
on 5/4/10 1:02 pm
Unfortunately, I still love to eat. :(
OneRedKansan41
on 5/4/10 1:04 pm
On May 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM Pacific Time, CandaceHasCurves wrote:
I went 1.5 weeks after surgery before having a BM...dairy IS constipating, especially if you are having more than a cup of it a day (as most of us do with the protein drinks) I make sure to eat LOTS of fiber-- refried beans, hummus, cooked spinach helps me a lot, too. Also pureed peaches, pears. Make sure to get your veggies in, and add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the veggies so you do get some of the needed fat. Hydration is, of course, very important, too.

I've had problems with constipation my entire life, being hospitalized for impaction twince. BUT since surgery I haven't had that severe of a problem...so it IS possible to handle it. I'm not taking miralax or anything, either....just handling it with foods.

Good luck!
I hope that you are doing better, Candace.
JennYoung
on 5/7/10 10:35 am
Apples...Benefiber at night & an apple for morning snack...works like a charm!  Thanks guys
Most Active