Soooo hungry!

LuvlyLissa1026
on 4/25/10 1:46 am
I had the band on 4/14 and let me tell you, about 3 days after surgery, I was HUNGRY!  They have me on each stage (liquid, puree, soft) for 1 wk.  During the liquids I was miserable!  I couldn't get down an entire protein shake in one sitting, so it seemed like I was constantly trying to drink in my protein.  I HATED IT!  Now that I almost done with purees I'm having it a little easier.  IF they let him do unsweetened applesauce or SF pudding, those will help.  I know every doc is different, but I was allowed those on liquids and they at least have a little substance to them.  Just remind him to eat slow.  

There is a LOT of post-op swelling, at least for me.  I'm down 22.5 pounds from my PATS, yet my jeans still won't fit.  They fit fine before surgery.  I was told to give it another 2-3 weeks and all the swelling should be gone.  The swelling though is more in the skin and tissue layers and not at the band.  For me it hasn't affected the sensation of fullness or hunger.  

Tell Tom what he is feeling is normal.  We will all be here to support him and welcome him to the boards when/if he is ready.

Best of luck!

Lissa
Realize Band 4/14/10
Dr. Schram - Barix Clinic, Ypsilanti, MI

Pam H.
on 4/25/10 10:28 am - Lincoln, RI
Thanks Lissa, it really helps to know that others have been through the same thing and understand. He will be on full liquids in about two days, so I think he will do better, and I know once he's on pureed he'll be fine.
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/25/10 3:24 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Pam--I'm almost 2 weeks out and YES I was miserable starting about Day 3-7 and then my body seemed to just accept its fate and I stopped being so hungry. But oh my goodness, I felt ravenous for toast, nachos--I wanted FOOD! But it did go away once I started 1) getting ALL my fluids in and 2) getting more protein in. I started being able to get more protein in as soon as the swelling went down a little--so about Day 6.

ALSO if he is on a diuretic it is SOOOOOO important he gets all his liquids in. But I'm sure you already know this.

Something I really, REALLY liked on the clear liquid phase was Unjury Strawberry with Crystal Light Lemonade---YUM! 8oz=20g of protein and it tastes like a strawberry lemonade because, well, it is.

Good luck!

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/25/10 3:27 am - Alexandria, VA
Also, sugar free fruit popsicles were a god-send for me on the clear liquid phase. I did clears for 9 days...

Has he tried any isopure protein drinks? They sell those at Vitamin Shoppe and they don't taste too bad; I like the Alpine Punch one the best. 40g protein in 20oz...those were my main source of protein when I was on clears. Good luck!

Pam H.
on 4/25/10 10:32 am - Lincoln, RI
Thanks so much. He does have the sugar free popsicles, he doesn't really go after them, so I have to hand them to him to remind him. He is drinking the Isopure. I have them in the house because I drink one every day. He also tried some orange juice with protien and found that more satisfying than the broth with protien, not sure why. He definitely needs to up his fluid intake. I appreciate all your suggestions and letting him know what he's experiencing is normal. He has lost about 14lbs, which he is quite pleased with.
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/25/10 10:42 am - Alexandria, VA
 Pam--I lost 14lbs the first week post-op, too---but I also ended up in the ER bc of heart problems resulting from the rapid weightloss and mild dehydration. If he is on a diuretic AND having gone through this surgery/not getting enough fluid for it as it is, he needs to get those fluids down, like NOW so he doesn't end up in the ER.

Not to scare you, but he really, REALLY needs to be sure to get that liquid in. It gets dangerous. I've never, not ever, had a heart problem but I'm now on a beta-blocker bc of this whole ordeal.

Pam H.
on 4/25/10 10:48 am - Lincoln, RI
Thank you Candice. I let him know and he is drinking right now. I am a little worried about tomorrow, as he is going back to work and I can't be after him. I'll just have to text him throughout the day. Thanks again.
Brenda H.
on 4/25/10 4:53 am - Dunkirk, MD
VSG on 02/13/12
Pam, My husband also had by-pass 4 years ago and I just had band surgery on Monday.  I'm finding that they are very different.  I has very involved in my husbands weight loss and I thought I would be ahead of the game and know everything that was going on.  Boy was I WRONG!  Some of the things are similar, but a lot is not.  I am also on a liquid diet and I'm noticing every day I get just a little more hungry.  My doctor is letting me eat cottage cheese and yogurt as long as I mix the protein in.  You should call the nutritionist and let them know what's going on.  They told me to call each person is different and modifications can be made.

Pam H.
on 4/25/10 10:34 am - Lincoln, RI
Thanks Brenda, we may be checking in with you from time to time if you don't mind, since our cir****tances are so similar. He hasn't contacted his doc. as it's the weekend. I think much of his problem is because he's not getting enough fluids, although I'm sure he really is hungry. He does like cottage cheese, so I'll pass that along to him.
Most Active