How Far Have You come?

SANDI H.
on 4/21/10 5:05 am - Ventura, CA
How far have you come? Two weeks ago I took my grandkids to the beach for the day. This meant I went to the gym at 6 as usual, then into wor****il 10, then I picked up the kids and took them to the beach. I walked up and down the beach twice, played in the tide pools, had lunch and then back down the beach, and finally home. Somewhere during this process I was sitting in the sun, relaxing for a minute and started to reflect on my life today vs. 6 years ago before I was banded.  Just 6 years ago I would have either gone to work or gone with the kids somewhere- not enough energy for both. Four years ago I would have gone to the gym in the morning and probably just taken the kids to the beach. Two years ago I would have gone to the gym, come into work for a bit and taken the kids to the beach. I would have never made it up and down the beach twice. I would have been exhausted by the time we had returned once from the tide pools. This time, approaching my 6th year with a lap band and at 61 years old, I went to the gym, then worked for 2 hours, then took the kids to the beach and walked back and forth on the beach, in out of the surf and the tide pools, up to the restaurant and back, and still had energy to spare. Life is a miracle, my grandkids are blessings, and every day I am grateful for my lap band. If you ‘re early in your journey ,take a moment to think about where you would like to be a year from now. Those who have been on this journey for a while ,take a moment and reflect on what something you are doing today would have been like before you were banded. Let’s share.   You can read more about this day and many other days since I was banded in May 2004 at www.sandisbandedliving.com
LillieGracesMom
on 4/21/10 8:29 am
You are truly and inspiration.  I am just 7 weeks into my journey but already I am noticing changes is my ability to do more than I thought I could ever do.  I can walk over three miles at a time and not feel like I want to die.  I can take my daughter on her field trip and walk countless numbers of stairs and not get winded.  I am noticing a difference in my clothes.  I feel like I am getting my life back.  The Realize Band was the best decision I have ever made (with the exception of marrying my hubby and having my three great kids). 
Let's hear some more encouraging stories from those who have had life-changing experiences since being banded.
-Heather

Jordiesmama69
on 4/22/10 2:44 am - Roscoe, IL
It is always great to read how far others have come and be an inspiration to everyone. I have been banded 2 years now and although I have had uncommon issues, I would still do it again. I began my journey at well over 450 pounds. I was one of the largest that my Dr had banded but I had determiniation to make the band my friend LOL I wore a size 30/32 and was about to outgrow those! I toady have lost over 270 pounds and wear a size 14 in jeans. I have my life back and can do all the things with my daughter that I was robbing her of. Best of luck to everyone on their journey!
Twinels2
on 4/21/10 10:41 am - Morgantown , PA
It is amazing how much differnce even a few pounds can make. I am was only banded 3/2 and I can tell how much better I feel. I think it is the healthier food choices and the weight loss. I love your web site and you have inspired me as well.
Shrinking Sharon
Lisa Y.
on 4/22/10 9:19 am
Sandi you are amazing! I am 32 and I don't think I could do all that in one day! lol  Maybe when I reach goal. :)

SANDI H.
on 4/25/10 12:08 am - Ventura, CA
You guys are great. All of the responses to this post have been thoughtful, and many of them were very moving- check it out on the Lap Band forum also for other replies on this site. We all have so many reasons to be grateful for our band, and more so, grateful for the desire and motivation and ability to reclaim our health and live our lives as we choose.
dvolumptious1
on 5/23/10 2:42 am
I know what you mean and its still early in my journey. Last year around this time, I could barely tie my shoes without feeling like I was suffocating and now I'm able to run and swim laps etc. Stuff that I was never able to do before because I didn't allow myself to go through the process to get there. Loving my band. Me and "Oscar" are doing alright!

Left the band and rocking with RNY.
They say I have an eating disorder but I say, I have my eating in order.         

SANDI H.
on 5/24/10 9:11 am - Ventura, CA
Isn't banded living grand? I am amazed every day. Last week I worked in my front yard for about an hour, then stopped, looked around, cleaned up my tools and the dirt I tracked all over my stamped concrete, and said "what next"? Well, there was nothing to be done int he yard. What had taken me 2+ hours to do last spring only took an hour this time, and it wasn't because there was any less to be done. I just continue to move more freely and my strength and endurance continues to grow and I LOVE IT!
Thanks for sharing. You are awesome!
Most Active