Lose the pre-opt weight

gettingthin09
on 4/18/10 9:05 am
Can you give me some tips on how you lost the pre-opt weight? I have to lose 14lbs, and in the last month have only lost 1 stinkin lb! I've been exercising, eating so much more healthy...i just don't know what to do anymore. I'm only 24 and never thought it would be so hard. Any tips would be great!
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/10 4:04 pm
I lost about 30 lbs in 12 weeks pre-op by going very strictly low carb (25 g carb/day and >60g protein). It doesn't work for everyone, but I've always had success with the proteins first diets. Good luck to you!
Tom C.
on 4/18/10 6:58 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
I would suggest talking to either your Doctor or Nutritionists for guidance - however I know many who's Doctor recommends doing a pure liquid diet weeks before their operation. Doing that not only helps lose weight before, but gets the patient ready for the liquid portion after the operation.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
ckb70
on 4/18/10 11:16 pm - Morrisville, PA
Do you have a date yet...usually you go on a low carb high protein shake diet for 2-3 weeks prior.  You will lose the weight then.

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
gettingthin09
on 4/19/10 11:34 am

First of all, thank you all for the replys! I will try the low carb, high protein diet. Did you use protein drinks? If so, what brand? I bought the "biggest loser" brand, but noticed it only had 15g of protein per serving.

I do not have a date yet, other than "sometime in June." I have been through all the pre op testing, nut, and psych consult.  I talked to my nut and she said to just keep doing what i'm doing. I just really worried that if i do not lose the weight, i won't be able to get the band. I meet with my DR again on May 7th...it seems like forever. I just hope the scale moves this time.

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/10 12:30 pm
The thing about the pre-op diet that I noticed (at least at the center I am working with) is that they never gave me a number to hit, but the main thing is they wanted to see if I could be "compliant" and begin to incorporate good band habits before surgery.  That way I wouldn't be so overwhelmed just after surgery.  I am only one week out from surgery, but I can see that it would be very easy to overwhelmed.  It's just a thought.
I used the pre-op time to taste several different brands of protein drinks, but for the most part I stuck to protein from "real" food and tried to eat like I was already banded.  It was really hard, but I know that you can do it!
Good luck.
gettingthin09
on 4/19/10 11:55 pm
Thank you MsLabRat. You all have been very helpful! I will try everything suggested.
MaJack
on 4/20/10 1:43 am - Earlsboro, OK
 I lost 10lbs in 10 days doing protien shakes for breakfast and lunch and meat for dinner. I also exercised maybe 7 out of those 10 days. I was self-pay and had everything lined up before I saw the Dr. for the first consult so surgery came fast.

Megan (228 HW/185 current/125 goal)

gettingthin09
on 4/23/10 8:45 am
You're very lucky! I wish i could be self pay. I will try the protien drinks for breakfast and lunch as you suggested. Thank you!
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/20/10 2:26 am - Alexandria, VA
 I had Salmonella and was in the hospital for a week, so I dropped 20lbs 2 months before surgery...

DO NOT get salmonella...! :)

THE REASON I dropped that weight, though, was because I was on a liquid diet for nearly a month while my large intestine (And I!) recovered from the salmonella and resulting UC flare up.

I had 4 sugar free instant breakfasts a day (supposedly all my nutritional needs...), plus some rice with condensed soup on top/cooked in to it for flavor. We're talking half a cup of rice, not a lot.

BUT I wasn't exactly hungry...I wasn't eating much bc the more I ate the worse I felt...

you could try going on the post-op clear liquid diet, only taking in things like Isopure and Unjury...

GOOOOOOOD LUCK hon. I know how frustrating it is--I've BEEN THERE! We all have! But you can DO THIS!

Most Active