How do you know when you need a fill?

authenticy
on 4/17/10 12:05 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
 Hello,

I am new to this board and was just wondering.  I was banded on February 2, 2010.  I have had 2 fills which has brought me to 7cc's.  I felt really good restriction when I first had it done and was even having trouble swallowing water.  Since then I have noticed it is not as tight.  I don't eat nearly as much but have to stop myself from eating more.  What exactly should I be feeling to know I have reached that "sweet spot"?  Some foods get stuck now and some go down really easy it just depends.  Usually in the evening is when I have the least trouble.  Will having a fill increase my chances of more things getting stuck?  I am scheduled for another fill this Thursday and am not really sure what  I should do.  Thanks for the help.
Tom C.
on 4/17/10 7:55 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Sweet spot duration: It is common for someone to lose their “sweet spot" – sometimes quickly. Remember, the stomach is a muscle. As we lose weight, the stomach will shrink. Since the stomach is a ‘smaller’, we lose the restriction around it. Think of the band as a belt around your waist. If you lose enough weight, the “notch" that once was perfect for the belt is no longer doing the job, so you need to move to a lower notch. Also, when a fill is done, sometimes the stomach get’s irritated, which causes swelling, and gives a “tighter" restriction. After a day or so, the irritation will go away, the swelling will subside, and that “sweet spot" feeling will be lost. You may need to go back to the Doctor for a real tiny fill, or just see how it goes.

Some folks have more trouble swallowing in the morning then later in the day. I hear this is more common with women, because of the “morning blot" syndrome. Some find drinking something warm, 30 minutes before eating, helps.

My Doctor’s philosophy about fills are: if you’re losing weight, and your portion size is under control, and you don’t get hungry often – then no need to do a fill. One should use fills when weight loss stops or you begin to gain, or you feel hungry often.

You may want to wait a few weeks before you have another fill, but of course it’s your decision. You know how you feel and what is or isn’t working. My final advice, you don’t want to be over filled. That sucks and can really cause some adverse reactions.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Twinels2
on 4/19/10 1:32 am - Morgantown , PA
I agree with Tom. I am new to fills but, from what I learned his adivice is dead on. I know I need another fill because I am hungry too often and too fast after I eat. I haven't had anything stuck. (thank God). I do feel less hungry in the AM and usually have to have my decaf about half and hour before I can eat. My doctor asked me at my fill appointment like, if I am hungry between meals, can I eat bread/pasta and how soon after eating do I get hungry and of course he can see how much I am losing. That sort of thing. That way he can help me decide weather or not I need a fill. Good luck with your fill appointment and let us know how your doing.
Shrinking Sharon

Most Active