Shower after surgery?

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/16/10 10:13 pm - Alexandria, VA
 Hi everyone!

Tuesday was my surgery and I was told I could shower today...but...I'm not sure if I can get the incisions wet or if I need to somehow keep them covered up? I felt like the nurses told me two different things...

So I'm curious what your doctors told you about the first shower 4 days post-op...cover the wounds or let them get wet/wash them?

Thanks

patti S.
on 4/17/10 12:12 am - Millsboro, DE
hi, actually I was able to take a shower the next day & did not have to protect the incisions.
Patti S.            
Christina M.
on 4/17/10 1:46 am
My instructions were that I could take a shower the day after, but only to let the soapy water wash over the incisions, no soaking or scrubing.  It felt so good to get clean. 
Good luck.
devshan
on 4/17/10 2:35 am - El Paso, TX
Banded on Thursday - showered on Friday.  Same thing - no scrubbing or soaking.  How are your incisions closed?  Mone are durabond and the big one has steristrips.

Congrats!!

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/17/10 2:44 am - Alexandria, VA
 Hi Devshan! Thanks! Mine are glued shut, no strips...they wanted me to remove the on-Q pump before showering...and that hole isn't closed, obviously, because there was a catheter in it...I removed the pump yesterday and am allowed to shower now...:)

Maybe I'll just cover up that incision and leave the rest to be washed over with water...hmmm

Thanks for your feedback! How was your procedure? How quickly did you go home?

Lisa Y.
on 4/18/10 11:28 am
I showered the next day. I have strips over my incisions. No problems.
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/10 4:10 pm
I had to wait two days to shower, and I was so happy when it was time. I am stapled all around. Look like I lost a fight in an office supply store. They come out on Friday 4/23 :D
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/18/10 9:18 pm - Alexandria, VA
 Ha! That visual is GREAT! I'm sorry you are stapled, but I love your description.

I didn't have any steri-strips or staples,only the glue...finally got up the courage to take a shower and let the water and soap run over the incisions but not directly on them...it did feel nice. But it was exhausting. so then I took a nap. Nice, clean nap. :)

Thanks for your advice!!
C
Most Active