Weight GAIN? 2 days after surgery?!

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/14/10 10:28 pm - Alexandria, VA
I had my surgery on Tuesday morning--morning of surgery I was 258. Yesterday I was 265. This morning I'm still about 265. WHAT THE HECK?!

I've been on all clear liquids for almost a solid week. 3 days prior to surgery and I even lost about 3 lbs in those 3 days...I had nothing but ice chips for the entire day of surgery and until mid-afternoon yesterday....now I'm having 2 ox of high-protein broth, 2 oz of high protein sugar-free jello, water here and there...

..I assume this is water retention from the IV fluids, but shouldn't that be going away soon?

Anyone else experience this?

PLEASE help.
Thanks
Candace

LillieGracesMom
on 4/14/10 10:33 pm
This is absolutely water retention from all the fluids that you were on at the hospital.  Here's what I did....follow your diet as perscribed by the nutritionist and don't weigh yourself until you go back to the doctor.  Your body will adjust and you will probably have a drastic weight loss at that first post-op appt.
Don't worry, you didn't make a mistake by having the surgery.  You'll be fine.
-Heather

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/14/10 10:49 pm - Alexandria, VA
Thank you Heather!

I'm waiting for Dr. Anez's office to open bc I've also got double vision and numbness all the way up my left leg and around the grion and hip/butt...the whole area just feels like jell-o...like your lips after a visit to the dentisi, you know? did you experience that at all after surgery? What about gas? I haven't passed any at all since surgery, but I also don't feel like I need to...burping, on the other hand I've been doing a lot of! ha! And the double vision, holy cow! I can mostly see things OK but can't read or proof read anything (like this note here...ha!)

Otherwise I have no complaints! I'm able to go about 6-8 hours between pain meds (I can take every 4 if I want) and walking is a joy! :) I am glad I had the surgery, just curious if what I'm experiencing is sort of normal...:)

Thanks for the quick response! I SOOOOO appreciate it!
Candace

Lisa Y.
on 4/15/10 2:24 am
I'm giving it a week before I get on the scale. I think it's too much pressure to assume I'll be losing weight already.

Lisa
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/15/10 7:22 am - Alexandria, VA
 Lisa, I think you are totally right. I was thinking it would be like when I had my son--where every time I stepped on the scale it was 5lbs lighter HAHA! That was, ofcourse, from water weight...so I was a bit surprised that not only did ithe scale go up, but it has stayed up...

But Like Tom suggests, I'm going to stay the heck off of it for now. :)

THANKS!!
C
Tom C.
on 4/15/10 6:28 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I echo the advice here. Don't be too concerned. Just follow the rules, and stay of the *#$&@@ scale until your follow-up.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/15/10 7:21 am - Alexandria, VA
 BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks Tom, I will stay the #$%&*@ off the scale until my follow up next Thursday. :)
renee K.
on 4/16/10 5:13 am - Augusta, GA
On April 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM Pacific Time, tcasola wrote:
I echo the advice here. Don't be too concerned. Just follow the rules, and stay of the *#$&@@ scale until your follow-up.
TOTALLY agree!!!  I usually dont weigh at all unless i go to the doc, but i have been seeing some drastic changes so I HAD to get on the scale! LOL

throw the scales in the trash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They are apt to change up/down/up/ daily depending on water retention etc.!!!!

Most Active