Potty Questions

Lisa Y.
on 4/15/10 2:23 am

I'm four days post op. Please tell me when this bloating and gas goes away. I feel ok in the morning and seem to swell as the day goes on.

Also, through 6 months of classes and research I didn't hear anything about post-op diarrhea.   Will this stop and when?

I am supposed to go back to work on Monday and can't imagine it at this point.

ckb70
on 4/15/10 2:59 am - Morrisville, PA
I did not go through the diarrhea but I did got through the gas.  I'm a year out and I still have a ton of gas...I always keep Gas-X around, you will be able to have the thin strips now.  It will get better!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/15/10 3:29 am - Alexandria, VA
I was told to expec****ery, loose stool for as long as I'm on a liquid diet...that if it becomes bothersome to add benefiber to some of the drinks to help the BM firm up a bit...with this said, I haven't had a BM or gas AT ALL since surgery...so...I haven't used benefiber or been troubled by diahrea.

Good luck!!!
sjohnson9206
on 4/15/10 6:28 am - Scipio, IN
I would be a little concerned if you haven't had a BM yet.

After surgery I had gas pains that were generally managed with my pain meds while I was taking them, but weren't that bad once I was off the meds.  I think mine lasted about 8 days total.

I used Benefiber from the beginning.  3x per day for the first week, and then once I was back regular 1x a day.  I can definitely tell the days that I don't take it.
~Samantha~

renee K.
on 4/15/10 4:29 am - Augusta, GA
Gas X strips work wonders but not as good as walking-it tends to move the gas around and out.  Diarrhea-never have had issues with that-be thankful for it lol, i have to take meds for my bowels to move!!  Yea and they are expensive too!!!

Hang in there I promise it does get better!!

Tom C.
on 4/15/10 6:34 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hate to the bearer of bad news .. the gas may never go away. To this day I still have it. I sound like a human tuba. As for the diarrhea - once you get back to "solids" it should "firm up". But always remember that what may feel like a gas can easily be a liquid or solid - so don't trust it.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active