Left leg numb...? Double vision? Anyone?

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/14/10 10:31 pm - Alexandria, VA
I'm waiting for my doc's office to open to call and ask about this, but I'm curious if anyone else experienced this? I had my surgery about 48 hours ago and came home from the hospital about 14 hours ago...

My left thigh, up to and around my hip and groin is numb.  It feels like jell-o--like how your lips feel after going to the dentist. I'm able to walk just fine, it doesn't hurt...it just feels weird...like jell-o. Did anyone else experience this?

Also, I've got some double vision....it isn't everything, just small things like reading (like trying to proof what I'm writing now is impossible, LOL)...anyone else experience this?

Thanks!!
Candace

Lisa Y.
on 4/15/10 2:25 am
This doesn't seem normal to me.
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/15/10 3:27 am - Alexandria, VA
 The nurse said the leg is probably from a pinched nerve from what position I was in on the table and that it will get better the more I walk...the dbl vision she says is probably from the anesthesia (sp?) and that esp since I haven't passed any gas or had a BM since surgery, that the anesthesia is still in my system so she wants me to take a fleet enema to try and get the large intestine moving to get it all out of my system...my problem, however, is that I have UC so an enema sounds like a terrible idea to me...so I'm waiting on a call back from my GI to make sure the enema is OK and that it wont cause a flare up of the UC.

Thanks for your response!! :)
C
scaredeesquirrel
on 4/19/10 6:27 am - Shrewsbury, PA
 I'm a little late in posting.  Hope you are feeling better!  Just my little peanut gallery comment....as a nurse, I'd like to suggest that a nurse (or a doctor, for that matter) can't diagnose anything over the phone.  Something like that probably should have been addressed in person.  Take good care of yourself.  Sometimes troubleshooting from home is not wise....there...Nosy Nurse has spoken!
You already know what fails.  You also know what works.    Pick one.     
CandaceHasCurves
on 4/19/10 6:33 am - Alexandria, VA
 haha Thanks "nosey nurse" :)

The feeling came back a couple days later, my vision is back to normal, too.:)  So everything seems to be a-ok now. :) But I do appreciate the advice and will take it to heart the next time some strange symptom comes up. :)

I see you had your surgery a few days before mine! How is your healing going? :)
scaredeesquirrel
on 4/19/10 6:36 am - Shrewsbury, PA
 Mostly ok...I'm weird cause all my pain was on the side opposite the port.  I think I had a pocket of fluid there.  I think a lot of folks come out with a drain and I didn't, so it was a bit on the painful side.  More than I expected.  I have my first post-op check tomorrow.  I don't know how it went for you, but I went to Walmart and bought a super-sized firm-your-tummy garment and it really helped with the jiggle factor that I think was exacerbating my pain.  How bout you?
Tom C.
on 4/15/10 6:27 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Candace,

Glad to see you reached out to your Doctor. Give it another day or so and see what happens. If you still feel the same, go to the hospital. Not saying there IS anything, or you should be concerned, however IMHO it's best to be safe than sorry. Remember, only YOU know YOUR BODY - and if you think something is wrong, it's best to check it out.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
dtb55
on 4/15/10 6:34 am
My left leg was a little numb for a week or so after surgery, but it did go away.  I forgot to mention it to my doctor, but I assumed it was from the surgery.  I didn't have any double vision so its good that your consulted your doctor.  Could you be dehydrated?  Are you drinking enough liquids?  I hope it gets better

Denise

scaredeesquirrel
on 4/19/10 6:33 am - Shrewsbury, PA
 Good advice, Tom.  It's always better safe than sorry.  Sore throats...aching backs...headcolds...they can usually do a wait and see method.  Double vision.....like you said, most likely nothing...but...when it comes down to it, my litmus test is summed up by the question, can you afford to be wrong...It's better to be wrong and feel foolish than to wait in hopes of everything being ok only to be asked in the emergency room why you waited so long to come in...
Most Active