Just banded Friday & cannot drink much at all...is this normal?

JennYoung
on 4/11/10 9:07 am
I was just banded Friday, had the dry heaves from the anetheasia.  My stomach is sore but I cannot drink a 8oz protein shake without feeling like a brick is on my stomch...is this normal?
NJLisa
on 4/11/10 11:50 am

My doc. recommended only clear liquids for the first 3 or 4 days and that was the only thing I could stomach.  For protein I used the clear Isopure from GNC.  And even then I couldn't drink too much.  Maybe the protein shake is just too much right now.  Plus the anestesia could still be floating around in your system . Trycalling your doctor in the morning and see what they recommend.  Good luck! 

Hill_Star
on 4/11/10 4:10 pm
I couldn't handle much water much less protein. I was lucky to be able to get in 8 oz for the whole day for a few days. Dunno if its normal but thats what I did. I was told its where your stomach is swelled so its like its got a fill in it but you don't. Don't worry. Give it about 4 or 5 days. It gets better each day that goes by. Right now you're hating it I'm pretty sure...but after about a month..when the numbers on the scale starts going down..you'll be very happy. I am the happiest person in the world right now and I'm still fat lol. Best of luck and don't give up
Lizzied2702
on 4/12/10 12:18 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I am 4 days post op. As with what was said above, my surgeon puts her ppl on a clear liquid diet for the first week and then after that we can start full liquids. Right now I am sipping 60 CC'S (about 4 tbs) of liquid every 30 minutes. I als can have sugar free fruit pops and jello. I've stayed aay from the jello because it just taste strange. My suggestion is to keep sipping on water and clear liquids until you can tolerate the shakes or something thicker.
Tom C.
on 4/12/10 7:33 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
After the operation your stomach may be swollen. Don't try to "drink" anything right away - make sure you SIP it. In addition, protein shakes may be too thick, especially if being made with milk. However if that what your Doctor or Nutritionist recommended, then follow their rules.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
JennYoung
on 4/12/10 7:53 am
Thank you all for the help & support...
Today is better I can sip more, I just don't want to get dehydrated.  I am also feeling very weak, but this is to be expected.  My Dr wants 2 8oz shakes a day, they are water based, he wants the vitamins...he is killin' me! LOL
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/10 4:23 pm
I got mine on Monday, and I afraid it was just me!  I know that I'm not dehydrated yet, so I'll just keep sipping whenever I can.  Glad to hear that I'm in good company.
Nancy
JennYoung
on 4/14/10 9:31 am
Thanks all...everyday is better!  Still weak but what can I expect...just 2 shakes a day as well as some juice.  On the good side I have lost 27 lbs in a month...pre & post op!!!  Yipeee!
Tom C.
on 4/14/10 7:06 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Sorry to see you're weak, but glad to know you're doing great !! Keep it up, and off :D
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
renee K.
on 4/15/10 4:58 am - Augusta, GA
2--- 8 oz shakes a day can be broken into 8--- 2 oz shakes a day! as long as you get it in, just sip all day for the first week or so, then you have to retrain your brain to eat only 3 times a day and no more.  But this way you stay hydrated.

Most Active