7 months out and nothing

nativenewyorker64
on 4/9/10 7:58 am - UT
I had a revision from the 4cc band to the realize band. I did really well with the 4 cc band except for the complications the eventually set in. I have almost zero restriction, zero control and I am slowly gaining weight. I hate it! I had the chance to get any surgery I wanted and decided for another band. I go to the doc on Monday and I am embarassed to be weighed because I have gained 5 pounds. He tells me to portion out my food but it is hard to do when I don't have any restriction. I guess no one can call me a loser because I'm really a gainer. Anyone else out there have a problem getting restriction? Did it take any of you a long time to start losing? I could sure use some input.
Lucy
Tom C.
on 4/9/10 10:01 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Lucy,

No matter what, you're a WINNER because (A) you have taked control of your life (B) even with this set back, you are STILL takening control of your life so no "boo-hoo parties" for you!!!

With that said, I have some questions for you. Are you following all the rules? Are you eating enough? Are you eating too much? Are you exercising? Are you hitting your protein intake? Since the revision, have you had a fill?

Know we're all here to help you. We'll get through this TOGETHER !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
nativenewyorker64
on 4/10/10 1:03 am - UT
Am I following the rules? What rules? I definately eat enough. Occasional exercise. I have had four fills, tomorrow is #5. I think I can see what I might be doing wrong. I need to get with the program. Thanks Tom! Its hard to follow the rules when you don't have restriction. Hopefully things will tighten up tomorrow.
Tom C.
on 4/10/10 1:31 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I start this off by saying that I know each Doctor has his own philosophy .. but the majority do believe doing the following will help achieve goals

(1) Make sure you are your daily recommend amount of protein (60 to 80 grams). That amount is a ballpark figure, and should change as you lose weight.

(2) Each meal should take you 30 minutes - studies have shown that it takes about 25 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that it's full. Doesn't matter if it's one plate or 5 plates. FOR ME, I still eat by stop watch. I put a piece of food in my mouth and wait 1 minute before I put another piece in.

(3) Make sure you drink at least 64 ounces of non-carbonated; decaffeinated fluids

(4) No drinking 30 minutes before/after or during meals

I understand your frustration, and I admire your determination.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
nativenewyorker64
on 4/14/10 8:16 am - UT

I went to the doctor on Monday and I now have 5 cc in my band. I am now able to stay satisfied meal to meal. I did gain 7 pounds. I am going to join weigh****chers tonight. I need to be accountable to someone. I did exercise today and the doc wants to see me in four weeks instead of six. So thanks for the encouragement . I appreciate it.

Lucy

ckb70
on 4/10/10 9:20 pm - Morrisville, PA
I'm a year out and finally have good restriction...it takes a while.  I too fill like you that maybe I made the wrong decision with the band but in the long run I know I will do better with the band.  I just had a 1/2 cc fill last week and feel great.  I look at food with no interest...such a great feeling to not be consumed with thoughts of food.  Now, if I could only get moving a bit more.  I did join the YMCA here with my family and my classes start the week of the 19th.  I have everything planed out, some days are a little ambitious but I will stick with it.  I know me...if I try to do something on my own I will give up...walking on a treadmill, I just stop.  If I'm in a class I will be too embarrassed to give up and walk out of the room.

Hang in there...how much is in your band?

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
nativenewyorker64
on 4/14/10 8:18 am - UT
Thanks for your reply. Read my reply to Tom for the newest update.
Thanks,
Lucy
ckb70
on 4/14/10 10:45 pm - Morrisville, PA
I'm so glad to hear you are doing better...stick with it and if you need to see the doctor earlier don't wait the 4 weeks.

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
Most Active