Day 3 ouch!

scaredeesquirrel
on 4/10/10 9:32 am - Shrewsbury, PA
Hello everyone!  Well, I'm at day 3 post op for the band.  Basically all is well.  I didn't puke which was good.  But boy-oh-boy the incision on my right side is painful!    I would have thought that the left side would be worse with the port and all, but it isn't.  Pain pills don't seem to help all that much.  Here's hoping tomorrow will be better!  Just curious about what other people may have experienced as far as how long the pain takes to subside.  I know.  Waaah!  Waaah!
You already know what fails.  You also know what works.    Pick one.     
Tammy G.
on 4/10/10 10:53 am - Indian Trail, NC
I never had a lot of pain but the 2nd and 3rd day were by far the most uncomfortable.    I made sure I was getting up and walking around alot - about 10 minutes every hour.    By the 4th day there was still some soreness but not nearly as much.     All in all it took 2 months for me to be 100% feeling normal again.

scaredeesquirrel
on 4/11/10 11:56 pm - Shrewsbury, PA
 Thanks for stopping in Tammy.  All the support here is really great.  You're right, each day is a little better.  I think I'm being too impatient.  Also have been having slight fevers since the surgery which I don't think help much. (I take the Tylenol then sweat the fever out only to get cold brrrr)  I never realized that I had turned into such a wussie!
Sue
ckb70
on 4/10/10 9:07 pm - Morrisville, PA

My port is on my right side along with the incision...that is where the port is clamped to the muscle.  Try not to sleep on that side and use a warm compress to help relax the muscle.  It will get better! 

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
scaredeesquirrel
on 4/10/10 10:38 pm - Shrewsbury, PA
 Thanks for chiming in!  It's still pretty painful today. I think I just must have some bruising in there.  I'm not usually a wuss, but it's really painful when I have to move.  Getting out of bed can be excruciating.  I've been sleeping on my back.  Well, thanks for the input.  Just trying to see if my pain level is out of the ordinary.  I've had laproscopic surgery before, but nothing like this.  But you're right.  It will get better.
rich_in_nfpa
on 4/11/10 3:48 am - New Freedom, PA
Hey there, "scaredeesquirrel"! I've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been doing. Great to see you back on the board.

My port is on my right side and it was/is definitely the worst as far as discomfort's concerned. The other 4 "punches" never really hurt that much. My surgeon told me that if I had not needed a hiatal hernia repair at the same time, he could have done the band surgery through one incision and then another for the port. The hernia repair required the four holes instead of just one.

The discomfort is no worse than the pain in my knees and ankles from carrying around all this extra weight so I have absolutely no regrets over having had the surgery. It's been almost 8 weeks since my surgery and I still get 'twinges" from the port if I twist or bend in certain ways. It doesn't slow me down or affect my sleeping at this point but it does periodically remind me that it's there. The miraculous thing is that I've lost almost 20 pounds in those 8 weeks! Tomorrow is my "official" weigh-in when I update the Health Tracker here on OH but, as of this morning, I have gone from 265 the day before my surgery to 245.2 this morning.

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Here's hoping your recovery continues to be uneventful. It's great to welcome you to the Loser's Bench in the Winners' Circle.

Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
conchita109
on 4/11/10 11:27 am - Greencastle, PA
Hey ladies!! More PA friends...yay! We must all get together someday!

So Scaredsquirrel....Day 2,3 and even a little of Day 4 were a little rough but you will get better each day! My port is also on my right side and I am a belly sleeper. By Day 7, I was able to suddenly turn on to my stomach without much pain...it was great!! And here I am at 1 month out, and I feel really great (and sleep on my stomach again without pain****asionally, the port area will feel sensitve with anything tight around my belly but otherwise, I have no complaints!

Continue to walk and try a heating pad to the sensitive/more painful areas...it seemed to help me!

I am so excited for you! We can do this!! I frequently get on the regular LAP-BAND site but I am going to have to come to the REALIZE forum more often....I didn't realize (pun intended) how many of you were from Pennsylvania....lol!!

Connie

Everything happens for a reason so, I am taking it a step at a time. I can do it!      

scaredeesquirrel
on 4/11/10 11:52 pm - Shrewsbury, PA
 Thanks for the encouragement Connie!  It really helps!  The pain thing isn't near the port, so I'm a little curious as to why it hurts so much in that particular spot.  My port is actually on the left.  Seems like this pain is not exactly related to the incisions.  I'm guessing it's some bruising in there somewhere.  I'm a belly sleeper too, so I miss that.  But it is great to hear that a month out you are feeling well.  I think my expectations were a little bit overly optimistic to say the least.  And  yeah, I would be all about getting together sometime.  I think I'm just in a funk because I'm used to being a lot more mobile.  Cabin fever.  But it really helps to hear from everyone!
Thanks much!!

Twinels2
on 4/11/10 11:57 am - Morgantown , PA
Go PA!
You will be feeling better every day! Just take it easy and before you know it you will be feeling great!
Shrinking Sharon

Tom C.
on 4/12/10 7:35 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I had no pain - except in my throat area. Hope you're feeling better today.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active